The holidays are here and it’s time to celebrate. However, all of your hard work throughout the year could be undone if you make the wrong decisions at the company holiday party. One too many glasses of champagne could spell catastrophe and making a move on the brunette in accounting under the mistletoe could lead to a serious HR conversation.
Not to worry. We’re here to prevent a holiday hot mess. Here are the dos and dont’s of the company holiday party. Have fun, be safe, and steer clear of the Santa shots.
- Don’t drink too much. Remember, cocktail then water then cocktail. Repeat.
- Don’t talk about politics—avoid Trump debates where possible.
- Don’t hook up with a coworker. It’s so cliché.
- Don’t re-enact the movie Love Actually. Yes, that’s cliché too.
- Don’t ask for a raise; it’s not the time to negotiate your salary.
- Don’t overeat—put down the plate of pigs in a blanket.
- Don’t spend the night complaining about work or the tough week you just had. No one likes a Debbie downer.
- Do bring a well-behaved plus one.
- Do be respectful of other religions and celebrations; Don’t go overboard with “Merry Christmas.”
- Do dress appropriately—no Santa baby costume, please.
- Do have an exit strategy (“I’ve got another party to go to.”)
- Do network and meet new people.
- Do take a Lyft or appoint a designated driver; Your health insurance doesn’t cover DUIs.