With more people across the UK finding work and competing for new opportunities, the jobs market is big news. And let’s not forget that with hundreds of thousands of students set to graduate this summer, recruiters are going to be busy. So what should UK job seekers expect when it comes to that critically important interview? To help UK candidates prepare, Glassdoor has sifted through thousands of interview questions shared by UK job candidates over the past year to compile its second annual list of the Top 25 Toughest Interview Questions (2014) – UK Edition:
1. “How would you describe an atom to a child?” – Asked at Gartner, Client Executive candidate (Egham, England). More UK Gartner interview questions
2. “How would you react if shot in the head with a Nerf gun?” – Asked at Rackspace, MBU Administrative candidate (London, England). More UK Rackspace interview questions.
3. “Who could win in a fight, Chuck Norris or Godzilla?” – Asked at Schlumberger, Field Specialist Trainee candidate (Aberdeen, Scotland). More UK Schlumberger interview questions.
4. “You play a game of russian roulette with another person, is it better to go first or second?” – Asked at Codemasters, Game Developer Candidate (Royal Leamington Spa, England.) More UK Codemasters interview questions.
5. “What is the number of people travelling on a tube per day?” – Asked at Barclays Wealth, Business Analyst candidate (London, England.) More UK Barclays Wealth interview questions.
6. “Is jaffa cake a cake or biscuit?” – Asked at Kerry Group, Engineer candidate (location n/a). More UK Kerry Group interview questions.
7. “How many planes are there currently in the air?” – Asked at Investment Technology Group, Software Developer candidate (London, England). More UK Investment Technology Group interview questions.
8. “Who was the greatest band of all time ‘Rolling Stones’ or the ‘Beatles?’” – Asked at National Milk Records, Programmer candidate (Chippenham, England).
9. “Would you support HS2 or Boris Airport?” – Asked at McLagen, Asset Management Analyst candidate (London, England). More UK McLagen interview questions.
10. “How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo?” – Asked at Harrods, Summer Sales Associate candidate (London, England). More Harrods interview questions.
11. “If you were given a million pounds, what kind of business would you start?” – Asked at Schuh, Sales Advisor candidate (location n/a). More Schuh interview questions.
12. “How many ping pong balls fit in a 747?” – Asked at Goldman Sachs, Operations Specialist candidate (London, England). More UK Goldman Sachs interview questions.
13. “If I write down all of the numbers from 1 to 1,000,000 on a page, how many times do I write down the digit 2?” – Asked at Jane Street, Trader candidate (London, England). More UK Jane Street interview questions.
14. “If you were a Disney cartoon character, which one would you be?” – Asked at Trend Micro, Account Manager candidate (Marlow, England). More UK Trend Micro interview questions.
15. “What makes you angry?” – Asked at Newton Europe, Management Consultant candidate (location n/a). More UK Newton Europe interview questions.
16. “Count to 11 in 3.5 intervals.” – Asked at Hailo, Full Stack Engineer candidate (location n/a).
17. “How many cranes are in London?” – Asked at Capco, Associate Talent Programmer candidate (London, England). More UK Capco interview questions.
18. “What do you consider to be the ‘greater good?’” – Asked at ThoughtWorks, Business Analyst candidate (London, England). More UK ThoughtWorks interview questions.
19. “Tell me about the last time you had a ‘Eureka’ moment?” – Asked at Xceed Group, Marketing Assistant candidate (London, England). More UK Xceed Group interview questions.
20. “Calculate the size of the disposable nappy market in the UK.” – Asked at Bain & Company, Associate Consultant candidate (London, England). More UK Bain & Company interview questions.
21. “How much water flows under London Bridge in 24 hours?” – Asked at Palantir Technologies, Forward Deployed Engineer candidate (London, England). More UK Palantir Technologies interview questions.
22. “What was the craziest thing you ever did?” – Asked at Red Commerce, Operations candidate (London, England). More UK Red Commerce interview questions.
23. “Everyone at Datasift is brilliant, why are you brilliant?” – Asked at DataSift, Developer Support Engineer candidate (Reading, England). More UK DataSift interview questions.
24. “What would you buy to personalise your desk?” – Asked at Red Gate Software, Scrum Master candidate (Cambridge, England). More UK Red Gate Software interview questions.
25. “How many golf balls would fit in this cubicle?” – Asked at Morgan Stanley, Prime Brokerage candidate (London, England). More UK Morgan Stanley interview questions.
Want more tough interview questions shared by UK job candidates? Check out Glassdoor’s inaugural report of 25 Tough Interview Questions (2013) – UK Edition.
In addition, job candidates should be ready to take on any question during an interview, so Glassdoor has also compiled a list of some of the Most Common Interview Questions.
Have you been asked an odd or challenging interview question? Share the interview question with others.