Students will soon need to start thinking about what they plan to do this summer, especially if they hope to land internships that will help boost their future career search. As Heather Huhman, a Glassdoor blogger and career expert writes, “Intern supervisors start accepting applications and resumes one to two months before the start date of the internship.”
But finding open internships and sending in your resume are just the first step to securing a position – it’s the interview that is often the most stressful experience. Glassdoor’s data analysis team dug into the internship interview reviews and found students and other entry-level workers can be faced with some tough and off-the-wall interview questions. Below are 20 oddball interview questions for intern candidates:
1. “Tell me about your life from Kindergarten onwards.” – view answers
Asked at Merrill Lynch. More Merrill Lynch interview questions
2. “What is your strategy in table tennis?” – view answers
Asked at Citigroup. More Citigroup interview questions.
3.“Would you be okay hearing ‘no’ from seven out of 10 customers?” – view answers
Asked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car. More Enterprise Rent-A-Car interview questions
4. “What did you play with as a child?” – view answers
Asked at Kiewet Corporation. More Kiewit Corporation interview questions.
5. “How do you evaluate Subway’s 5-foot long sub policy?” – view answers
Asked at Capital One. More Capital One interview questions.
6. “If you could describe Hershey, Godiva, and Dove chocolate as people, how would you describe them?” – view answers
Asked at Lubin Lawrence. More Lubin Lawrence interview questions.
7. “Sell me an invisible pen.” – view answers
Asked at Procter & Gamble. More Procter & Gamble interview questions.
8. “How would you market for Telescope in 1750, when no one knows about orbits, moon etc.?” – view answers
Asked at VWR International. More VWR International interview questions.
9. “You are climbing a stair case. Each time you can either make 1 step or 2 steps. The staircase has n steps. In how many distinct ways can you climb the staircase?” – view answers
Asked at Google. More Google interview questions.
10. “Five guys, all of different ages enter a bar and take a seat at a round table. What is the probability that they are seated in ascending order of age? (Clockwise or counter-clockwise).” – view answers
Asked at Susquehanna International Group. More Susquehanna International Group interview questions.
11. “25 racehorses, no stopwatch. 5 tracks. Figure out the top three fastest horses in the fewest number of races.” – view answers
Asked at Facebook. More Facebook interview questions.
12. “Suppose you had eight identical balls. One of them is slightly heavier and you are given a balance scale. What’s the fewest number of times you have to use the scale to find the heavier ball?” – view answers
Asked at Goldman Sachs. More Goldman Sachs interview questions
13. “If we were playing Russian roulette and had one bullet, I randomly spun the chamber and fired but nothing was fired, would you rather fire the gun again or re-spin the chamber and then fire on your turn.” – view answers
Asked at UBS. More UBS interview questions.
14. “What is the chance that at least two people were born on the same day of the week if there are 3 people in the room?” – view answers
Asked at DRW Trading. More DRW Trading interview questions
15. “How would you rate your life on a scale from 1 to 10?” – view answers
Asked at Brown & Brown Insurance. More Brown & Brown Insurance interview questions.
16. “How many cocktail umbrellas are there in a given time in the United States?” – view answers
Asked at Gryphon Scientific. More Gryphon Scientific interview questions.
17. “If I was a genie and could give your dream job, what and where would it be?” – view answers
Asked at Pottery Barn. More Pottery Barn interview questions.
18. “What is the smallest number divisible by 225 that consists of all 1s and 0s?” – view answers
Asked at Jane Street Capital. More Jane Street Capital interview questions.
19. “Estimate how many planes are there in the sky.” – view answers
Asked at Towers Watson. More Towers Watson interview questions.
20. “If you walk into a liquor store to count the bottles unsold, but the clerk is screaming at you to leave, what do you do?” – view answers
Asked at Diageo North America. More Diageo North America interview questions.
Are you getting ready to apply to internships? Got questions about the internship process? Post your questions here and Glassdoor’s career experts can help.