Where you pursue a college degree today is no longer about your physical presence on campus, thanks to institutions like the University of Phoenix, which allows you to pursue a degree from anywhere. The University of Phoenix, which bills itself as the largest private university in North America, has become a popular option for attaining an advanced degree. In fact, the University of Phoenix reports that it currently enrolls more than 400,000 students who are taking a variety of online and on-campus classes at more than 200 locations.
But what is it like behind the scenes at the University of Phoenix? Is the popular online university a popular place among employees? Glassdoor dug into the more than 100 reviews left by University of Phoenix employees to get the insight scoop. Currently, the University of Phoenix garners a 2.8 (OK) company rating and the university’s president, Dr. William Pepicello, Ph.D., earns a 51% approval rating and a 49% disapproval rating.
Below are just a few highlights from University of Phoenix employees dishing on what’s working well (Pros), what may need some improvement (Cons), and what advice they have to offer senior management.
- “Excellent professional development,” – University of Phoenix Online Facilitator (location n/a)
- “Great benefits package,” – University of Phoenix Employee (Austin, TX)
- ”Attend classes at University of Phoenix free of charge (awesome perk),” University of Phoenix Enrollment Advisor (Phoenix, AZ)
- “Does a great job at keeping up with modern technologies,” – University of Phoenix Corporate Education Liaison (location n/a)
- “Great first job if you are straight out of college or the military,” – University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor (Phoenix, AZ)
- “Too much politics,”- University of Phoenix Employee (Austin, TX)
- “Management was poor at communicating effectively and giving praise when needed,” – University of Phoenix Enrollment Advisor (Maitland, FL)
- “Too many meetings,” – University of Phoenix Enrollment Advisor (Phoenix, AZ)
- “Poor leadership is pushing out talented workers,” – University of Phoenix Enrollment Employee (Kansas City, MO)
- “Some students are not prepared for the classes,” – University of Phoenix Adjunct Facilitator (location n/a)
Advice to Senior Management:
- “Promote within not from another campus,” – University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor (location n/a)
- “Improve curriculum changes and organizational culture,” – University of Phoenix Adjunct Faculty (Minneapolis, MN)
- “Make facilitators feel like more integrated personnel,” – University of Phoenix Employee (location n/a)
Want to read more University of Phoenix employee reviews? Click here.
Do you work at University of Phoenix or any other university or college? Share a company review.
–Stay tuned for more monthly Glassdoor blog articles featuring what it’s really like to work on the inside at various companies