There are currently over 1,900 open Analytics Manager jobs in this country, this demand spurred by increased demands for comprehensive data analysis and data-driven decision making in business (Best Jobs in America Report- Glassdoor). The competition for these professionals is fierce and one of the best ways to beat out the competition is perfecting your job description.
Gathering the required skills is the first part of the equation. You need to ensure that the list of requirements reflects the nuances of the job at your company and conveys your company’s mission, which can be challenging.
Here at Glassdoor, we spend a lot of time analyzing what constitutes a great job description – and we have the full complement of best practices to show for it. So, we’ve crafted a near-perfect Analytics Manager Job Description for you to reference.
Analytics Manager Job Description
We are looking for an analytics manager to join our growing team of data analytics experts and manage the processes and people responsible for accurate data collection, processing, modeling and analysis. The ideal candidate has a knack for seeing solutions in sprawling data sets and the business mindset to convert insights into strategic opportunities for our company. The Analytics Manager will work closely with leaders across product, sales, and marketing to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. They will ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by designing and creating optimal processes and procedures for analytics employees to follow. They will use advanced data modeling, predictive modeling and analytical techniques to interpret key findings from company data and leverage these insights into initiatives that will support business outcomes. The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of data analysis to solving real-world problems faced by our company and finding opportunities for improvement across multiple projects, teams and business units.
Key Responsibilities of an Analytics Manager
- Lead cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Build, develop and maintain data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics support that support key business decisions.
- Design and build technical processes to address business issues.
- Oversee the design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze business functions and key operations and performance metrics.
- Recruit, train, develop and supervise analyst-level employees.
- Ensure accuracy of data and deliverables of reporting employees with comprehensive policies and processes.
- Manage and optimize processes for data intake, validation, mining and engineering as well as modeling, visualization and communication deliverables.
- Examine, interpret and report results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders in leadership, technology, sales, marketing and product teams.
- Oversee the data/report requests process: tracking requests submitted, prioritization, approval, etc.
- Develop and implement quality controls and departmental standards to ensure quality standards, organizational expectations, and regulatory requirements.
- Anticipate future demands of initiatives related to people, technology, budget and business within your department and design/implement solutions to meet these needs.
- Organize and drive successful completion of data insight initiatives through effective management of analyst and data employees and effective collaboration with stakeholders.
- Communicate results and business impacts of insight initiatives to stakeholders within and outside of the company.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Working knowledge of data mining principles: predictive analytics, mapping, collecting data from multiple data systems on premises and could-based data sources.
- Strong SQL skills, ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries.
- Understanding of and experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for business units.
- Experience and knowledge of statistical modeling techniques: GLM multiple regression, logistic regression, log-linear regression, variable selection, etc.
- Experience writing advanced SAS code statements, models, and macros.
- Experience working with and creating databases and dashboards using all relevant data to inform decisions.
- Experience using analytics techniques to contribute to company growth efforts, increasing revenue and other key business outcomes.
- Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Strong ability to plan and manage numerous processes, people and projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and delegation skills.
We’re looking for someone with at least 5 years of experience in a positon monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data, and someone with at least 3 years of experience leading a team. The right candidate will also be proficient and experienced with the following tools/programs:
- Strong programming skills with querying languages: SLQ, SAS, etc.
- Experience with big data tools: Teradata, Aster, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience with testing tools such as Adobe Test & Target
- Experience with data visualization tools: Tableau, Raw, chart.js, etc.
- Experience with Adobe Analytics and other analytics tools
- C, C++, JAVA, or other programming languages
- Experience with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
With all the time you save writing job descriptions, you can move on to the next key piece: honing your interview process with resources from Glassdoor – from How to Conduct a Behavioral Interview to utilizing checklists and interview templates. You can also take some time to leverage feedback from Interview Ratings on your Glassdoor profile to improve candidate experience every step of the way.