How Great CEO Leadership is a Recruiting Advantage
The best CEOs set the tone for success at companies large and small, inspiring their people to new heights and rallying everyone around their vision. No wonder, then, that having a great CEO as a leader can help your organization attract, recruit and retain top talent. Here’s why.
The CEO’s Impact on Recruiting
- Senior leadership is the #2 factor in employee satisfaction, after company culture1
- A 1-star increase in overall employee satisfaction predicts a 36.9% improvement in CEO approval on Glassdoor2
- 48% of employees considered frequent communication between employees and senior leadership to be very important in their ability to stay engaged3
“I am convinced that nothing we do is more important than hiring and developing people. At the end of the day you bet on people, not on strategies.”
Lawrence Bossidy, former CEO, GE
5 Characteristics of Great CEO Leadership
1. They invest in their people
“We have a very tenured workforce. One of the drivers of that is our investment in building strong leaders who can have a meaningful career here.” – Kirsten Marriner, Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer, Clorox
2. They lead by example
“Subjugating your own feelings, and consciously choosing to lead in a productive and healthy manner is one of the markers of leadership.” – Brady Harris, CEO, Eliot Management Group
3. They embrace transparency
“We err on the side of transparency and give as much information as we can, because people, if they don’t have information, will imagine something or make something up to fill in the gaps.” – Kerry Bessey, Senior Vice President and CHRO, Memorial Sloan Kettering
4. They nurture strong culture
“About a year ago at Deloitte, we introduced the concept of a ‘culture of courage.’ It’s a concept that resonates with a multi-generational workforce. It’s about driving a culture of innovation that gives us the freedom to experiment, try new things, or take a different approach to solving a challenge.” – Cathy Engelbert, CEO, Deloitte
5. They live the company’s values and mission
“Leaders are also expected to work harder than those who report to them and always make sure that their needs are taken care of before yours, thus leading by example.” – Elon Musk, CEO, SpaceX
How to Help Your CEO Boost Recruiting
Top-rated CEOs agree – tracking employee sentiment, along with asking for and responding to feedback is a critical strategy for boosting engagement and improving retention rates. Help your senior leaders manage your company’s reviews today by claiming your Free Employer Account on Glassdoor.
- Glassdoor Economic Research, What Makes a Great CEO, August 2016
- SHRM 2016 Job Satisfaction and Engagement Survey.