Chances are you’re reading this post on your phone. Nearly 3 out of 4 people will rely solely on their phones to access the internet by 2025.1 With smartphones being an integral part of daily life, more and more job seekers rely on mobile devices as a core tool to connect with employers.
Here are the top 5 takeaways every recruiter should know to build a seamless experience for mobile candidates:
1. Know the mobile audience
The mobile candidate is not who you think. The typical mobile candidate is:2
- Near mid-career
- More likely to be female
- Has fewer years of education
- Less likely to live in big cities
2. Be mobile-friendly to broaden reach
You’re hurting the size and diversity of your talent pool by not thinking mobile. Most job applications aren’t designed with the mobile user in mind.
- It takes 80% longer to complete mobile job applications.3
- Only 22% of mobile applications get submitted.3
3. Test desktop & mobile to improve the journey
Your talent pool shrinks the longer it takes to complete a job submission. Reducing the time needed to complete an online job application by 10% is associated with a 2.3% increase in mobile job applications and a 1.5% increase in desktop job applications.2
4. Streamline and simplify applications so all job seekers have equal opportunities
You’re likely making applications harder for lower-paying jobs. It may sound counter-intuitive, but higher-paying jobs often require less effort to apply. Lower-paying jobs often ask for information that would traditionally be captured in a resume like work history, skills and education.2
5. Create easier and faster mobile experiences
You’re attracting fewer applicants by keeping the status quo. Mobile-friendly applications create better user experiences and attract more talent.
Nearly 60% of Glassdoor’s monthly visitors come from a mobile device.4 With Glassdoor’s Easy Apply, we can help you automatically streamline job postings and create an ideal mobile experience.
20 Days of Content for Recruiting Informed Candidates >
We made it easy to start creating content that showcases your employer brand.
Oddball Interview Questions Recruiters Should Ask >
Weird, funny and strange interview questions can be a powerful tool to glean information about a candidate.
How To Conduct a Behavioral Interview >
Good hiring practices like behavioral interviewing are essential to keeping recruiting costs low.
10 Reasons to Advertise Jobs on Glassdoor >
Glassdoor reduces recruitment costs by putting jobs in front of informed candidates.
Why Glassdoor Is a Powerful Tool for Recruiters >
Glassdoor offers job seekers data to make informed decisions about where they choose to work.
1. Nearly Three Quarters of the World Will Use Just Their Smartphones to Access the Internet by 2025, CNBC, 2019
2. The Rise of Mobile Devices in Job Search: Challenges and Opportunities for Employers, 2019
3. Job & Hiring Trends for 2020, Glassdoor Report, 2019
4. Google Analytics, CQ3'19 average