2232 Senior Physician Specialist - PsychiatricSan Francisco Department of Public Health – San Francisco, CA
CLASS 2232 SENIOR PHYSICIAN SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
October 1, 2014: Minimum Qualifications amended in accordance with updated job specification
May 30, 2015: Minimum Qualifications amended in accordance with job specification language for the Psychiatry Specialty
The Department of Public Health continuously accepts applications for class 2232 Senior Physician Specialist – Psychiatric Medicine.
Appointments in this class may be Permanent Exempt or Temporary Exempt.
Exempt employees are excluded from civil service hiring and removal procedures in accordance with the provisions of Section 10.104 of the Charter of the City and County of San Francisco. Exempt employees are considered “at-will” and serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
The Department of Public Health utilizes Senior Physician Specialists in Psychiatric Specialty in the following Division.
Applicants may be considered for opportunities at any of the locations. If you have questions, please contact the “Contact Person” identified for further information.
Current vacancies are highlighted in red.
1. MENTAL HEALTH DIVISION
CONTACT PERSON: IRENE SUNG, MD – MEDICAL DIRECTOR
Irene.Sung@sfdph.org Phone: 415-255-3919
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CENTER/SFGH
887 POTRERO AVE.
CENTRAL CITY OLDER ADULT SERVICES
90 VAN NESS AVE.
CHINATOWN CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER
720 SACRAMENTO ST.
CHINATOWN NORTHBEACH CLINIC - MH
729 FILBERT ST.
COMMUNITY BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES
1380 HOWARD ST.
COMPREHENSIVE CRISIS SERVICES
3801 3RD ST.
FAMILY MOSAIC PROJECT
1309 EVANS AVE.
FOSTER CARE MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAM
3801 3RD ST.
HIV AND GENDER SERVICES
755 SOUTH VAN NESS AVE.
LAGUNA HONDA HOSPITAL
MISSION FAMILY CENTER
375 LAGUNA HONDA BLVD
759 S. VAN NESS AVE.
MISSION MENTAL HEALTH/MISSION ACT
2712 MISSION ST.
O.M.I. (OCEAN MERCED INGLESIDE HEALTH CENTER)
1701 OCEAN AVE.
SF FIRST, HOMELESS OUTREACH TEAM
760 HARRISON ST.
SOUTH OF MARKET MENTAL HEALTH CENTER
760 HARRISON ST.
SOUTHEAST CHILD FAMILY THERAPY CENTER
100 BLANKEN AVE.
SOUTHEAST MISSION GERIATRIC SERVICES
3905 MISSION ST.
SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER SERVICES
1380 HOWARD ST.
SUNSET MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
1990 41ST AVE.
TEAM II @ CASTRO MISSION HEALTH CENTER
3850 17TH ST.
TRANSITIONAL AGE YOUTH SERVICES
90 VAN NESS AVENUE
VIOLENCE INTERVENTION PROGRAM
555 POLK ST.
Under the general direction of the Medical Directors at the assigned site, the Senior Physician Specialist serves as a staff psychiatrist and provides direct psychiatric care and consultation.
The essential job functions include the following:
· Assess, diagnose and provide psychiatric treatment for patients in an intensive care management setting (may include field work), and working closely with families;
· Work closely with an Intensive Care Management Team using multiple therapeutic skills (which include the ability to combine behavioral, environmental and psychopharmacological modalities in treating individuals);
· Monitor a caseload of clients regularly as well as to provide cross coverage for other psychiatrists;
· Participate as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team;
· Participate in clinic quality improvement activities;
· Serve as a liaison with community behavioral health providers and hospital based psychiatric team; and
· Perform related duties as required/assigned.
- Graduation from an approved medical school, possession of a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) degree, completion of a recognized residency program, and Board certification or eligibility in a specialty area; AND
- Possession of a license to practice medicine issued by the California Medical Board and possession of a Board Certificate or Board Eligibility in the respective specialty; AND
- Fellowship in a Child Psychiatry program only if working with children and youth.
- Medical Specialty noted in the Minimum Qualifications is Psychiatry.
- An appointee in this class who is engaged in the practice of Psychiatric medicine shall receive an additional 5% to his/her base rate of pay.
- An appointee in this class who is engaged in the practice of Psychiatric medicine for children shall receive an additional 15% to his/her base rate of pay. A physician is not entitled to both the 15% Child Psychiatrist premium and the 5% Psychiatrist premium.
Condition(s) of Employment:
All qualified candidates who have been selected for appointment to positions in all specialty areas must be an eligible billable provider and will be required to meet the following criteria:
- Be eligible to participate in Medicare, Medicaid and/or other federal health care programs;
- Possess a National Provider Identifier (NPI);
- Submit a completed credentialing application and/or required documentation for credentialing; AND
- Possess a valid third-party billable provider certification (such as Medicare, Medi-Cal and/or private insurance) OR have submitted a completed billable provider application, along with the required documentation, in order to obtain the appropriate billable provider status.
Failure to meet these criteria and/or ‘Conditions of Employment’ within two (2) weeks PRIOR to the start work date may result in the delay of the appointment to the position and/or cancellation of an employment offer. Once appointed, all qualified candidates/employees will be required to retain these qualifications throughout their length of employment. Failure to demonstrate (show proof) of qualifications shall result in the termination of employment.
City and County of San Francisco employment applications are only accepted online. Click the “Apply” button to begin the application process. Choose “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, for use by the public. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement, and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses. (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com)
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
This application required you to attach your cover letter/CV and resume.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATE:
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience and proof of certifications at any point during this recruitment and selection process. If requested, verification of experience needed to qualify must be submitted on the employer’s letterhead and indicate the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours/week, and duties performed and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate company representative.
City employees do not need to submit verification of qualifying City work experience if experience gained is from the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will only be allowed if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Rules. City employees relying upon qualifying work experience gained outside of the City and County of San Francisco must submit written verification of such experience as described above.
Verification of the required experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. However, the applicant must immediately request a waiver of verification of qualifying education/training and/or experience by submitting a signed statement with the application explaining why verification is unattainable. Please note, requests for waiver of verification of qualifying experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit the required verification of experience or request for waiver of verification may result in rejection of the application.
The selection process will include an evaluation of applications in relation to the minimum requirements. Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
- Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
- Prior to appointment, at the Department’s expense, applicants may be required to take a TB screening test, and a medical examination.
- Remember to indicate: Attn: Class 2232 Senior Physician Specialist on all correspondence.
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Issued: September 6, 2013
Announcement No.: PEX-2232-PH9001
Team DPH/GG (415) 554-2584
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
For more information about benefits, please click here.