- Featured Review
Helpful (12)RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Open and friendly management, no-one hides away in an office
Flexible PTO (actually unlimited vacation policy within reason)
Start up vibe
Pay is competitive
Fun and friendly office environment
Great marketing events
Some recent layoffs created a backlash
Culture changed after the merger, inevitable bringing two companies together
Negative attitude of some colleagues - just leave if it's that bad!
Advice to Management
Dont listen to the debbie downers and negative attitudes on here, there will always be a few, especially after a round of layoffs, which most companies go through after a merger. This is an awesome place to work and people who have left have come to regret the decision later.Magnetic 2016-10-09 15:28 PDT
Its not that bad to work here
Its not that good eitherMagnetic 2017-08-08 11:58 PDT
Doesn't RecommendNegative OutlookApproves of CEO
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I worked at Magnetic full-time
- The CEO and the upper management are mostly nice.
- For awhile there were a lot of above average engineers. They're pretty much gone though.
- Good quality snacks and coffee
- I feel I was treated rather badly and micromanaged. Your mileage may vary..
- HR should really be doing management training for some of the management due to some of the treatment some of these people perceived as acceptable.
- This place has had multiple layoffs, and I don't see this ending anytime soon. I'm not sure who else is left to lay off.
- People with above average talent were kept on a short leash, so they couldn't use their talents to fix what they felt were the main pain points of the company. Instead people were put on some pet projects that indicated a major lack of understanding and foresight about the company.
- Some of the middle management at the time seemed that they never even bothered to research the competition. No one has any idea what a competitive product in this space looks like. Really essential functionality that is not optional for the firm is overlooked in favor of making the product look nice and have extra features that mean a lot less to the customer than performance.
- No extra benefits such as a match, etc. I wouldn't work here for any money personally.
Advice to Management
For the longest time, I did not understand how you could have an agreeable upper management, and a bunch of above average engineers in a room, and fail to produce an enticing product. I had no idea what the failure points were. As I was there longer, I began to understood that a lot of the issues resided with middle management. Please re-evaluate the importance of these roles with the size of the firm is currently. There is a lot of mismanagement going on here, and I suspect it is the source of a lot of the problems with the products. Invest in machine learning and performance, not extra features to add on to the product to make it look nice. Anticipate future market needs and research competition. Consider pivoting to a different service financially, it may be impossible to compete in this climate.Magnetic 2017-09-16 20:40 PDT
Recommend to a friend