LIN Media is a local multimedia company that operates or services 43 television stations and seven digital channels in 23 U.S. markets, and a diverse portfolio of web sites, apps and mobile products that make it more convenient to access its unique and relevant content on multiple screens.
LIN Media’s highly-rated television stations deliver important local news and community stories along with top-rated sports and entertainment programming to 10.5% of U.S. television homes. The Company’s digital media operations focus on emerging media and interactive technologies that deliver performance-driven digital marketing solutions to some of the nation’s most respected agencies and brands.
LIN Media has and continues to identify and implement innovative business strategies, including digital and new media. The company has a successful multiplatform business model utilizing synergies from its core on-air broadcasts and dedicated Interactive technologies and personnel. LIN has a reputation as being a leader in developing technologies in the broadcast and entertainment industry and we are looking for individuals who want to make a difference and who are driven to succeed.
LIN Media is traded on the NYSE under the symbol “LIN”.
LIN Media’s digital news department is seeking a Digital Editorial Lead (DEL) to lead new content development for LIN Media’s 23 markets.
The DEL is at the center of LIN’s global news gathering effort, coordinating some 500+ strong digital editorial staff from Honolulu to New Haven. Along with developing editorial strategy for LIN’s 40+ websites, the DEL also coaches staff on best practices and effective storytelling, as well as develops new and exciting ways to tell stories online. The DEL will develop and mentor a team of writers, reporters, producers, videographers and designers to create innovative journalism experiences for LIN’s top-rated websites throughout the country.
• Develop editorial calendars for predictable news events, holidays and other noteworthy happenings.
• Design, execute and communicate a breaking news plan for all markets.
• Coach a team of 500+ throughout our 23 markets to create and share engaging content.
• Work with company leaders in editorial, design, analytics and advertising to align all company initiatives.
• Create and manage a learning community, sharing best practices, wiki- and blog-style articles on editorial concerns, and lead the effort in editorial personal training and professional development.
• Assist corporate and local markets to develop best practices for digital storytelling.
• Understand and monitor the use of SEO, social media and brand-message plans and best practices.
• Find stories from our news outlets and outside sources that have a local impact on the communities we serve, and tailor those stories to the local markets for maximum effectiveness. Bridge the gap from national stories to the local markets and find ways to tell those stories with local impact.
• Develop new, exciting and engaging visual experiences for users using photos, images, graphs, info graphics, databases, interactive designs and brand-new digital innovations.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
The ideal candidate with have the following experience and qualifications:
• 3-5 years in a digital newsroom environment, or digital division of a traditional news outlet (TV, print).
• An effective and approachable management and leadership style.
• Previous experience managing and directing a large team of digital journalists.
• Strong editorial skills: be able to spot a dangling modifier from a mile away, and know the AP Stylebook.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Multi-tasking a necessity.
• Must be able to take direction yet demonstrate the ability to work well with minimal supervision
• Excellent interpersonal, decision-making, relationship-building and listening skills
• Able to adjust easily to changing priorities and rapidly learn and apply new skill sets
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Competitive compensation based on experience
• Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, company paid life insurance, optional voluntary life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, generous paid time off and 401(k) plan
• Location to be based in Austin, TX
To apply, please submit your resume to email@example.com, please reference “Digital Editorial Lead” in the subject line.
LIN Media is an equal opportunity employer