Director of Business DevelopmentPJ Test Prep – Los Angeles, CA
PJ TEST PREP is a boutique SAT/ACT Prep and Tutoring Company based in South Bay/Westside Los Angeles. We’ve been in business since 2006 and have helped thousands of L.A. area students raise their test scores and grades.
OUR MISSION is to provide the top-quality programs of a large company while retaining the affordability, intimacy, and flexibility of a smaller group. And to make academic achievement fun.
OUR GOAL in the next few years is to continue to grow our programs and presence, into both online and physical markets, in greater Los Angeles and beyond.
WE’RE LOOKING for a Director of Business Development to help our small but profitable company grow into this next phase. This is a rare and exciting opportunity for an ambitious and dynamic individual to get in at the ground floor of a growing company, and sit near the top as it develops into a larger organization, sharing in responsibility for its organizational direction, and in its profit.
You will lead PJ Test Prep’s growth and development in greater Los Angeles and eventually other cities, and in the online marketplace. This will not be a typical 9-5 position; scheduling is often very flexible. There will be weekend and evening work, but there are slow seasons (July, December) and busy seasons (early fall, Jan-April). You will report to and often work with our Director, but much of your work will be self-directed, and your compensation above the base salary will grow proportionally with your effectiveness. This is a great position for an ambitious self-starter who seeks responsibility and reward for their efforts.
- Plan and execute informational and sales presentations at schools and in the community
- Visit and find dynamic ways to partner with local high schools and school districts
- Build and nurture relationships with counselors, key administrators, faculty, and community organizations to increase brand recognition of our SAT/ACT courses and private tutoring programs
- Arrange/execute and attend marketing events like college fairs and free test tip seminars that will lead to increased sales and enrollment
- Manage our student database and email list, and help coordinate direct marketing to families
- Find and execute other creative marketing approaches to increase brand awareness and drive sales and expansion, both in physical and online markets
- Correspond with interested families by email and phone, funneling them toward our classes and tutoring programs; assist the Tutor Coordinator with placement when needed
- Eventually, recruit, train and manage additional marketing staff and Regional Reps to continue and expand this growth
Additionally – in an effort to learn the company – for the first six months to a year while you establish your contacts and begin to add to the business, you will also temporarily assist the Director and Tutor Coordinator in running day-to-day operations. This will include tasks like overseeing classes and managing test grading, assisting with payroll and billing, and developing processes to streamline these operations. But the goal, as you contribute to the company’s growth and we bring in more people, is for you to focus on business development and phase out of day-to-day management as quickly as possible.
We’re looking for an ambitious, self-motivated entrepreneur who can find creative ways to grow the business while observing the professionalism and propriety inherent in working with students and schools. Experience in the Test Prep and College Admissions industry is a strong plus, as are existing connections with schools and markets. Ideal candidates are bright, creative, gregarious, and possess an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for education and business. Ideal requirements:
- Strengths in relationship building and consultative sales and/or event promotion
- Bachelor’s Degree from a top University
- Excellent presentation and public speaking ability; strong interpersonal sales skills
- Professional experience in sales/service industry
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, confident and optimistic demeanor with an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to forecast business goals, plan and execute projects, and analyze outcomes
- Results-focused outlook and a passion for driving business growth
- Ability to work with computer databases and proficiency in MS Office
- Willingness/ability to travel throughout the Los Angeles area and eventually beyond
Depending on experience, base salary starts at $30-$50k, plus a generous incentive program (e.g., profit sharing), to begin after a six-month trial period. As this is a development and sales position, we envision this share in the company to be the true incentive, and lead to a much higher compensation than the base as your contribution helps our financial performance and profit margin continue to grow.
Flexible scheduling allows much work to be done from home; benefits and vacation time negotiable.