POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Patient Care Services (DPCS) fills an executive position with overall clinical and management responsibility; serves as liaison to and conduit between the Administrator, clinical staff, patients and their families, and the community. Ensures that only those patients for whom the hospice can provide adequate care are admitted to the hospice service. Assumes lead responsibility for patient advocacy; and carries out the organization's purposes in a manner consistent with the goals, objectives, and established policies.
REPORTS TO: Administrator
SUPERVISES: Direct Patient Care Staff
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with baccalaureate or higher degree in Nursing or another health-related field.
Credentials: Current, active RN license within the State. Certification in Hospice and Palliative Nursing desired.
Experience: Three years of experience within the last five years in a hospice or home health agency, primary care clinic or health facility, at least one year of which was in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
Four years of experience within the last five years in a hospice, home health, or agency, primary care clinic or health facility, at least one year of which was in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
Core Competencies: Demonstrated competency in performance of professional nursing functions. Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and standards. Excellent communication skills. Ability to organize, delegate, supervise and evaluate staff. Understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the hospice interdisciplinary team. Possesses a sympathetic attitude toward the caring for the hospice patient and demonstrates positive communication skills in interacting with other members of the hospice team.
Other: Valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for overall compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards related to patient care.
2. Assures adequate numbers of qualified hospice staff.
3. Reads, interprets and enforces hospice policies and procedures
4. Assists in formulating, developing and writing hospice policies and procedures
5. Adheres to financial and accounting policies and procedures and manages expenditures in a fiscally responsible manner.
6. Provides regular communication with the hospice staff regarding pertinent organizational and clinical issues.
7. Responsible for the oversight of the assessment and evaluation, intervention and documentation of patient and family needs.
8. Participates in the development of a budget to include labor, pharmacy, DME, supplies and other care related costs.
9. Investigates problems, grievances and complaints and take corrective action.
10. Demonstrates positive leadership skills through effective communication and personnel selection, development and motivation.
11. Establishes performance standards and performance measuring, evaluations and adjustments.
12. Oversees orientation of new employees.
13. Assists the Administrator in program planning and development
14. Maintains an open line of communication with the Administrator.
15. Collaborate with the Medical Director to coordinate the delivery of patient care.
16. Oversees the implementation of the Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement program.
17. Conducts ongoing assessment of staff education needs and design the education program accordingly.
18. Ensures continuity of care throughout the hospice program
19. Assures availability and quality of after-hours services.
20. Oversees the accurate and timely completion of Medical Records including compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
21. Regularly visits contracted facilities to maintain good working relationships with their managers and staff.
22. Serves as a role model and set an example for other members of the healthcare team.
23. Coordinates the hospice services provided to patients/families.
24. Acts as a patient advocate.
25. Observes for safety hazards in the patient’s and organization’s environments and takes appropriate steps to reduce or eliminate them.
26. Maintains continuing education through academic studies, seminars, and workshops.
27. Participates in community education and public relations as requested.
28. Assures that all clinical decision-making follows ethical guidelines.
29. All other tasks and duties deemed necessary and appropriate.
Monday - Friday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Job Type: Full-time