Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company with expertise in the planning and implementation of encroachment control and mitigation efforts at military installations and associated operational equities throughout the United States.
Cardno’s office in Santa Barbara CA provides land use encroachment analyses, strategic mission sustainment planning, and community outreach support services to the Navy and other U.S. military services that are concerned about encroachment of military installations and operating areas from incompatible land uses.Job Description:
Cardno’s office in Santa Barbara CA provides land use encroachment analyses, strategic mission sustainment planning, and community outreach support services to the Navy and other U.S. military services that are concerned about encroachment of military installations and operating areas from incompatible land uses.
Cardno’s encroachment planning support team in Santa Barbara is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented applicant with experience as a GIS analyst related to land-use, encroachment, energy, or community planning/analysis to support encroachment management efforts on behalf of our military clients. Related experience or educational background in GIS, land-use, or environmental planning and analysis, military encroachment management, and/or public and agency interaction is a plus. The successful applicant can work remotely, but regular visits to Santa Barbara and other project related travel are required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare GIS maps and provide map-based analyses in support of planning projects
- Analyze and develop courses of action to address multiple issues associated with land use, energy, water, frequency management, air space resources management, environmental planning, real estate considerations, noise and public safety issues, explosives safety, communication themes and messaging, urban planning, stakeholder management, encroachment control, and range/installation sustainability policies and strategies development, to sustain military training capabilities and operational readiness mission
- Assist in developing partnerships with external agencies on encroachment projects
- Assist technical team with Readiness and Environmental Protection Integration (REPI) projects
- Collect, organize, and maintain data, reports, briefings, publications, and other relevant information conducive to smooth program operations
- Coordinate meetings, document flow and information gathering with internal and external stakeholders.
- Accompany or represent the Encroachment Program Manager at various meetings with regional elected officials at the federal, state and local community level; take notes, develop after action and meeting summary reports. Assist in executing various strategic engagement plans
- Review and interpret studies and reports on a wide variety of complex subjects. Apply critical thinking, analytical, qualitative and quantitative skills to interpret and effectively prepare, distribute and deliver reports in both oral and written form
- Building a strong delivery-focused relationship with the client and cross-functional team
Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants
- At least 2 years’ experience applying GIS skills to the analysis of planning issues and infrastructure, natural resources, and development projects on military and federal lands
- A Bachelor’s or higher degree in GIS, business, communications, land use planning, environmental planning or similar is a plus, but is not required depending on applicable work experience
- Experience working in or with the U.S. military
- Experience and/or knowledge of GIS, encroachment management, land use planning, land acquisition, and/or airspace establishment
- Experience in short and long-range planning for multi-disciplinary projects
- Capacity to analyze new and complex project-related problems as they arise, and swiftly develop innovative solutions
- Ability to drive momentum of the project forward, ensure all project deliverables are accurate, and identify creative solutions, options, and recommendations
- Intellectual curiosity paired with excellent oral and written communication skills along with a proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); experience in group facilitation, including focus groups, interviewing techniques, etc.
- Strong communication skills - the ability to convey information simply and effectively to teams, colleagues, clients, and stakeholders verbally and in written form
- The ability to work independently and with minimal supervision and possess organizational, presentation, and client-service skills
- The position will require regular project related travel to various locations, approximately one trip per month or as needed
- Must have or be eligible to obtain any required federal government clearances, including a Common Access Card (CAC), as a requirement for continued employment
- Must be eligible to work in the United States (a DHS Form I-9 must be completed by the selected candidate and will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for verification of eligibility to work through E-Verify)
- Must submit to and pass a company background check, if selected for the position
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.Cardno does not accept unsolicited resumes from any 3rd party agencies. No fee will be paid to 3rd parties who submit unsolicited resumes to any Cardno employee. Resumes from approved vendors must be specifically requested by Cardno and approved by the Cardno Talent Acquisition Team.