Theo Chocolate is based on a core idea – chocolate can be made in a way that allows everyone in the bean to bar process to thrive. It’s part of why we make our own chocolate, to ensure that everyone involved is treated in a way that we can be proud of and that only the highest quality ingredients and processes are used. The result: delicious, award-winning chocolate. When you taste our chocolate, you will experience our passion and integrity in every luscious bite.
Theo Chocolate is proud to be the first organic, fair trade, bean to bar chocolate factory in the United States. It takes a large array of duties and committed people to make great chocolate. Our factory, kitchen, marketing and administrative offices are all located in a historical building in the Fremont district of Seattle, WA.
We are looking for a Kitchen Production Manager to join our collaborative team. This position is responsible for managing a team of 10+ chocolatiers and confection packing staff who create and produce our delicious confections and candies. The ideal candidate would have exemplary management skills, experience overseeing day to day kitchen activities and a passion for chocolate! Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews production orders or schedules to ascertain product data such as types, quantities, and specifications of products and scheduled delivery dates in order to plan department operations.
- Plans production operations establishing daily priorities and sequences for manufacturing products.
- Prepares production schedules and coordinates manufacturing activities to ensure production and quality of products meets specifications based on seasonal inventory needs. This includes future production planning and scheduling
- Works closely across all areas of management including Product Development manager, Theo Retail Store Manager, Sales Manager, the Chocolate Production Manager, and the QA/QC Manager and product and process developers.
- Manages kitchen and confections packing personnel; which includes scheduling, performance evaluations, training, mentoring, resolving complaints and disputes, disciplinary actions, hiring, and terminations.
- Manages all inventory of all ingredients made in house, products used in specialty chocolate bar production and confections. Research and order products.
- Manages inventory of all packaging for confections and other specialty products.
- Periodically organizes and oversees food events/classes in the retail store or outside events as resident chef which includes menu creation, food procurement, managing the budget, planning and staffing of the food production.
- Manages the research, development, and testing of new Theo confections and specialty products. Participates on the Theo Chocolate Sensory panel to assist in advising flavor profile direction, may include changes to roast curve or other changes such as conche time.
- Researches and develops other products for 3rd parties and manage business relations with the partnerships. An example of this is Sugar Plum and the production of sugar paste. Keeping in mind the business case: product margin, capital expense needs, and the benefit to the business.
- Provides proper job training and encourages work habits to ensure adherence to procedures, regulations employee & food safety. Manages kitchen confection product development and custom orders. Tracks expenditures and evaluates ideas based on Theo esthetics and production limitations.
- Oversees accurate and timely completion of production records, cost of goods, inventory levels and lot tracking data in the ERP system.
- Responsible for meeting financial targets for labor utilization, cost reduction, and inventory management.
- Ensures the production operation complies with all regulatory and Theo Chocolate established controls for food safety, product quality, factory safety, GMP’s, Food Safety, FSMA, HACCP, Allergen Control, Organic, Fair for Life and Kosher segregation.
- Oversees, maintains and exceeds sanitation standards to meet all regulatory, company, and customer requirements.
- Co-ordinates with engineering / maintenance for necessary repairs and maintenance required by PM Program or as needed.
- Develops or revises standard operational and working practices and observes workers to ensure compliance with standards.
- Fill-in making products in productions as needed.
- Manages customer relationships, sales forecast and production of other non-chocolate products.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Must have two-year associates degree in pastry production, culinary arts or restaurant management with four years+ related managerial or supervisory experience in food production, kitchen management, catering management or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience or technical training with chocolate and confections is a plus. Must have experience with inventory control and production planning. Must have a minimum of two-years adhering to and improving employee and food safety programs. Supervisory Responsibilities:
Manages over ten employees in the Confections Kitchen and Confections Packing department. May manage additional temporary staff during peak holiday season. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Analyzes workload and recommends changes in need for personnel. Responsibilities include revising job descriptions, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; reviewing performance; recommending pay increases, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the key functions of this job.
- Lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
- Occasionally required to: sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and climb or balance.