Americares global health programs seek to confront crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to support individuals, families and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of good health so they can reach their full potential. The Global Program teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching more than 90 countries and 50 states through our work annually. The teams include the International Partnerships & Programs team, the US Team, and the Emergency Programs team, which encompasses emergency preparedness and risk reduction, emergency response, and disaster recovery.
Americares responds to 25-30 disasters a year in the US and around the world. Our goal is to save lives and protect and improve health threatened by disasters. We achieve this by providing medicines and medical supplies, restoring health facilities and systems, providing mental health and psychosocial support, and helping prevent the spread of disease.
Americares is seeking an experienced, dynamic, Preparedness Specialist to help Americares implement strategies and initiatives to build preparedness capabilities of health facilities and health systems and to help communities reduce disaster risk, with a focus on reducing risks to public health. The Preparedness Specialist will use his/her knowledge of US and international best practices, US and international guidelines and regulations, and his/her own direct disaster experience to support Americares preparedness and disaster risk reduction efforts in the US and around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assist in implementing a strategy and programs to improve preparedness of safety net health facilities in areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
· Contribute to the development and refinement of Americares preparedness/DRR strategy, approach, and toolkit
· Provide technical assistance to ongoing Americares preparedness/DRR projects
· Conduct needs assessment and gap analyses
· Work closely with Emergency Response team at headquarters and in field offices to integrate DRR/preparedness into disaster response and recovery efforts.
· Provide guidance and training to Americares staff at HQ and in the field.
· Facilitate workshops and provide training and technical assistance to Americares partners.
· Travel to project sites domestically and around the world to conduct needs assessments, monitor projects, and/or respond to disasters.
· Perform other related duties as required.
· Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in disaster preparedness/risk reduction.
· Bachelor degree required; advanced degree in public health, emergency management or related field an advantage.
· CEM, CBCP, CBCI or related certifications an advantage.
· Experience conducting preparedness/DRR work in the US and abroad.
· Experience working on health institution preparedness.
· Proven track record in facilitation and conducting training, and providing technical assistance in DRR/preparedness.
· Fluency in English required; proficiency Spanish an advantage
· Willingness to travel and work in remote areas
· Able to operate independently and as part of a team