The Project Architect role is one of design, leadership, and a continual refinement of all your talents as a well-rounded architectural professional. This opportunity will include the ability to lead the design vision for projects, mentor junior staff members as they progress in their careers, contribute meaningfully to the success and growth of the firm, and guide your own professional development and interests through our continuing education benefits.
Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, design and technically minded and has 7-10 years of post-degree experience and is willing to quickly take on responsibility and grow with our team. This position requires initiative, flexibility, excellent communication and a team player mentality. The Project Architect will lead and support our team in seeing assigned contemporary residential, multi-family and commercial projects through to completion.
Studio VARA is a dynamic, creative, collaborative award-winning design studio encompassing Architecture, Urban and Interior Design. We have the feel of a start-up, and the depth of experience and professionalism of a larger office with plenty of room for growth. This position is a full-time exempt position, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, employer-paid full medical, dental & vision insurance, PTO, and 401k.
– Work with principals and Project Managers to oversee all phases of projects from schematic design through construction administration, including permitting and plan check.
– Act as prime point of contact for Construction Administration and consultant coordination.
– Lead the design, detailing, and full documentation of selected project interior & exteriors.
– Generate outline specifications and schedules.
– Assign and delegate tasks to team and effectively manage deadlines for production, renderings, presentations and research.
– Produce and manage project schedules, work plans, client correspondence and documentation.
– Review design and documentation for Planning and Building Code compliance.
– Review documents for QA/QC.
– Uphold best practices and Studio VARA’s process standards and CAD standards.
– Minimum of 7-10 years of experience including the interior architecture of high-end residential, multi-family, hospitality and/or commercial projects.
– Degree from an NAAB Accredited school of architecture.
– Technical knowledge of Type V construction, including past work in all phases of design and construction.
– Expertise in construction detailing and assemblies, construction documents and experience in producing a complete construction document set, including schedules and specifications.
– Superior written and verbal English communication skills with a positive attitude, high-energy, and a keen eye for details.
– Exceptional organization and production skills with the ability to effectively manage time and resources.
– Experience leading, mentoring and inspiring junior staff – managing the delegation of production while simultaneously maintaining responsibility for project documentation and executing the design vision.
– Ability to manage coordination of large, complex projects against rigid timelines.
– Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to take direction from clients.
– Modern design skills and the sensitivity to be very design detail oriented.
– Must be a team player who is willing to accept a full range of responsibilities and roles.
– Working knowledge and proficiency in Revit and/or AutoCAD.
– Licensed architect in California or in the process of licensure.
– Shows initiative, pro-activity, and ownership of projects where appropriate.
– Comfortable assuming responsibility to bring in each project within architect’s fee and construction budget constraints.
– A stable, solid work history.
– Experience with Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, V-Ray, 3D Max, and Enscape
– Minimum of four to five years project management or team-leading experience
– Experience with multi-family residential projects
– Experience with other construction Types is a plus!
To be considered, please email us your cover letter, resume, salary expectations and portfolio samples, to include samples of client presentation work and construction document work. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line. If you read this entire posting, please start your cover letter with telling us about your favorite building in San Francisco and why. Please email us via Next Level Strategies at email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In-office Health & Safety:
At Studio VARA, we take the safety of our team and clients very seriously and as such we have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy. All newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination prior to their start date.