Welcome to the best job you'll ever have.
The short version is...
Great company culture
100% Employee owned - all employees participate.
Here's the long version.
Nevo is a highly respected consulting organization (~20 people) that builds custom applications for clients in a range of industries including financial services, technology, product distribution, manufacturing, law, energy conservation, higher ed, healthcare, etc. We use leading edge technologies to build web, desktop, and mobile applications.
Nevo was created by developers, for developers. We knew from the outset that our ability to build a successful software development consulting business depended entirely on our ability to attract, develop, and retain top talent. We have worked hard to do just that, and have created a unique organization.
The greatest indicator of our success is that our clients return year after year and project after project, AND that we have extremely low staff turnover. People come to Nevo and stay, not because they don't have alternatives, but because Nevo really is a special place to work.
1) We do exciting work. We use the latest and greatest technologies to develop applications. We don't do maintenance and support. That means developers at Nevo are constantly challenged by new projects and new ideas. If you like learning new things you will love it here. If you want to apply and reapply stuff you learned years ago, you won't be happy at all.
2) Nevo is a very collegial place to work. We strive to hire people who are not merely at the top of the developer ladder, but also (and often more importantly) are great to work with. It's important to our clients, and equally or more important to our own team.
3) At Nevo, developers are the most important people. That is rarely the case elsewhere - and typically not in product companies. Feeling respected makes for a good working environment.
4) We understand the importance of solid engineering practices and processes. We know how to do things the right way - and we put it into practice every day on every project. We are an Agile shop. We don't just pay lip service to the process. We understand it deeply and subtly, and apply the principles consistently. We use the best tools and technologies to support these practices.
5) No Business Analysts impede understanding. This may not seem important, but only if you haven't experienced it. Rather than having a BA talk with the users and then translate what they say, we have developers talk directly. Much less is lost in translation.
6) We have no politics - not a shred, not an iota, not a single word. Nevo is a pure meritocracy. People are respected for what they know and for the contributions they make.
7) Nevo is 100% employee owned. In 2009 100% of the equity was purchased by the Nevo Employees Stock Ownership Trust. Nevo's current and future staff all benefit directly from owning 100% of the equity in the business. Unlike stock options, Nevo staff aren't required to contribute, or risk, any money. As of 12/31/2014 the median employee ownership account was worth just about $500,000.
We look for people who:
- Have a passion for, and deep understanding of programming. Nevo's staff are "top 10%" developers - the best of the best.
- Are generalists, not specialists, comfortable at at all levels of application development..
- Like learning new technologies and domains, addressing new challenges, rather than applying what they already know.
- Get things done - Nevo developers are not just great coders, they are also great designers, capable of assessing alternatives, and coming to conclusions quickly and effectively.
- Personable and articulate - Virtually everyone at Nevo has direct client contact. It is an important aspect of our project process. Getting rid of extra layers, putting developers in the same room as users, makes for a better result.
Nevo makes long-term hires, not project specific hires. We prefer people with solid and diverse experience, but have been known to hire exceptional candidates just out of school.