It’s a new decade, and many workers are seeking new opportunities. In January, there are 22% more job applications started on Glassdoor than in a typical month. Using Glassdoor’s unique data on jobs and companies, we compiled a list of the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2020. The list is based on three factors that are top of mind for job seekers:
- Salary: The median base salary reported on Glassdoor over the past year;
- Job Openings: The number of U.S. open job openings on Glassdoor as of 12/18/19; and
- Job Satisfaction: The overall job satisfaction rating (on a scale of 1.0= bad job to 5.0= best job) reported by actual employees working in these roles on Glassdoor over the past year.
The full list of the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2020 can be found here. Below is a list of the top 10 jobs based on pay, open jobs and overall job satisfaction.
Top 10 Best Jobs in America in 2020
|Rank||Job Title||Median Base Salary||Job Satisfaction||Job Openings|
|1||Front End Engineer||$105,240||3.9||13,122|
|8||Speech Language Pathologist||$71,867||3.8||29,167|
|10||Business Development Manager||$78,480||4.0||6,560|
Source: Glassdoor Economic Research (Glassdoor.com/research)
Here are our key takeaways from this year’s full list:
- Front end engineer is the number one Best Job in America, replacing data scientist which held the number one spot for the past four years. While data scientist remains a thriving role, we’re seeing high demand for front end engineers with over 13,000 open roles, nearly double the number of data scientist open jobs. In addition to numerous open jobs, front end engineers report competitive salaries and high job satisfaction.
- Tech jobs dominate this year’s list, especially among the top 10. The top seven spots on this year’s list are tech roles, including front end engineer (#1), java developer (#2), data scientist (#3), product manager (#4), devops engineer (#5), data engineer (#6) and software engineer (#7). In total, there are 20 tech jobs on the 50 Best Jobs list, with many job openings in a variety of industries, not just at tech companies.
- Corporate recruiter has the highest job satisfaction among the 50 Best Jobs in America. Workers in this role are very satisfied at work, with a job satisfaction of 4.4 out of 5. We expect to see more CEOs and talent attraction professionals embracing a culture-first business strategy in 2020 and beyond, so it will be interesting to see how the satisfaction across jobs and industries changes in the new decade.
How We Determine the Best Jobs
This report identifies the U.S. Best Jobs based on three criteria. The top jobs are determined by weighing three factors equally: earning potential (median annual base salary), overall job satisfaction rating and number of job openings on Glassdoor.
For a job title to be considered for the report, it must receive at least 100 salary reports on Glassdoor and at least 100 job satisfaction ratings shared by U.S.-based employees over the past year (12/11/18-12/10/19). The number of job openings per job title represents active job listings on Glassdoor as of 12/18/19. This report takes into account job title normalization that groups similar job titles. C-suite and intern level jobs were excluded from this report.
The three factors used to determine the Best Jobs in America for 2020 are chosen with the job seeker in mind. Incorporating the count of open jobs ensures that each job title is relevant and ripe with opportunity for job seekers to find and apply for these Best Jobs across the country. In addition, salary is a top factor for job seekers when searching for a new role. Finally, job satisfaction encompasses workplace factors such as career opportunities and company culture, which helps shed light on how current workers in these roles actually feel about their time spent at work.