Millions of Americans kicked off 2021 unemployed due to COVID-19. Using Glassdoor’s unique data on jobs and companies, we compiled a list of the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2021 to help people find jobs they’ll love. To ensure each of the Best Jobs were relevant career options during the pandemic, each job had at least 2,000 openings on Glassdoor as of 12/07/20. The Best Jobs in America for 2021 list is based on three factors that are top of mind for job seekers:
- Salary: The median base salary reported on Glassdoor over the past year;
- Job Openings: The number of U.S. job openings on Glassdoor as of 12/07/20; and
- Job Satisfaction: The overall job satisfaction rating (on a scale of 1.0= bad job to 5.0= best job) on Glassdoor reported by actual employees working in these roles over the past year.
The full list includes the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2021. Below is a list of the top 10 jobs based on salary, job openings and overall job satisfaction.
Top 10 Best Jobs in America for 2021
|Rank||Job Title||Median Base Salary||Job Satisfaction||Job Openings|
|6||Information Security Engineer||$110,000||4.0||5,621|
|7||Business Development Manager||$82,182||4.1||8,827|
Source: Glassdoor Economic Research (Glassdoor.com/research)
- Java developer is the #1 Best Job in America, striking a strong balance between salary, job openings and job satisfaction. We’re seeing high demand for java developers with over 10,000 open roles and a median base salary of $90,830.
- Tech jobs continue to dominate this list, especially among the top 10. The top six and eight of the top 10 jobs on this year’s list are tech roles, including java developer (#1), data scientist (#2), product manager (#3), enterprise architect (#4), devops engineer (#5) and information security engineer (#6). In total, there are 22 tech jobs among the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2021, with many job openings across a variety of industries, not just at tech companies.
- Corporate recruiter (#46) has the highest job satisfaction among the 50 Best Jobs in the U.S. for the second year in a row. Workers in this role are very satisfied at work, with a job satisfaction of 4.4 out of 5. Technical program manager (#30) has the highest median base salary among the 50 Best Jobs in America, earning $142,379. The role with the most open jobs is software engineer (#9), with over 40,564 job openings as of 12/07/20.
How We Determine the Best Jobs
This report identifies the 50 U.S. Best Jobs based on three criteria. The top jobs are determined by weighing three factors equally: earning potential (median annual base salary), overall job satisfaction rating and number of job openings on Glassdoor.
For a job title to be considered for the report, it must receive at least 100 salary reports on Glassdoor and at least 100 job satisfaction ratings shared by U.S.-based employees over the past year (12/11/19-12/10/20). A job title must also have at least 2,000 job openings as of 12/07/20 to be considered for this list. The number of job openings per job title represents active job listings on Glassdoor as of 12/07/20. This report takes into account job title normalization that groups similar job titles together. C-suite and intern level jobs were excluded from this report.
The three factors used to determine the Best Jobs in America for 2021 are chosen with the job seeker in mind. Incorporating the count of open jobs ensures that each job title is relevant and presents meaningful opportunities for job seekers to land Best Jobs across the country. Salary is also a top factor for job seekers when searching for a new role. Finally, job satisfaction encompasses workplace factors such as career opportunities and company culture, which helps shed light on how current workers in these roles actually feel about their time spent at work.