EMSI Engineering Interview Question: Please spell "idiverticulitis... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Account Manager Interview Irving, TX

Please spell "idiverticulitis".

Answer

Interview Answer

23 Answers

This is definitely meant to embarrass people.

I suspect the best you can do is ask the standard spelling bee questions (e.g., ask for the etymology and for them to use it in a sentence). In this case, their sentence will probably be pretty outrageous. I had to look it up, but diverticulitis is a "small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that become inflamed or infected."

After that, I'd totally botch the spelling but hopefully have enough poise to laugh it off.

GBAD on Jan 6, 2012

I'd-u-s-e-s-p-e-l-l-c-h-e-c-k

Paul on Jan 10, 2012

@GBAD - Yes! I thought the same. This one begs for a follow-up question delivered with a smile, "Thank you. Can you use it in a sentence?".

Art on Jan 10, 2012

@Danna
It does if it's an iOS app designed for those who suffer from diverticulitis!

Vince on Jan 10, 2012

diverticulitis

Harrison on Jan 10, 2012

diverticulitis... I'm a nurse. Got this one.

Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012

You dont that word doesnt exist. Remove the i and there is a word you might be speaking of. "Am I being interviewed as a replacement because you cant spell?"

Mr Guy on Jan 10, 2012

Me: "B, R, O, C, K, L, E, S, N, A, R"
Interviewer: Brock Lesnar?
Me: Yes, just like Lou Gehrig's disease is a stand in for ALS.

Paul on Jan 10, 2012

es

Paneksipni on Jan 10, 2012

D-I-verticulitis

JC on Jan 10, 2012

I like Paul's answer the BEST!!! s-p-e-l-l-c-h-e-c-k !!! It's a bit snarky; but unless you're seriously interviewing as a medical publishing editor, it begs the question... and this applies to the job ... how?

bjohnson on Jan 11, 2012

I'm just not understanding the relevance of this question?

Jack on Jan 24, 2012

My native language is phonetical so I don't spell, but I can write it down for you.
Is that OK?

Vlad on Jan 29, 2012

Not only could I spell it, I could give them a lesson on what my grandmother had to deal with from this issue!

Bee Kay on Mar 7, 2012

diverticulitis.......no problem I am Greek !

phaethon on May 5, 2012

My imaginary response: The version that is spelled i-c-a-n't-d-o-t-h-i-s originating from America or the version that is spelled n-o-w-a-y-j-o-s-é originating from Spain? It's like the word doughnut or donut.

I would actually try my best, but I hate spelling out loud. For everyone who doesn't get this, they're trying to see how well rounded you are and/or if you can improvise when you're stuck.

Stephanie on May 8, 2012

C. A. N. apostrophe T. Never had it.

Kitty on Jun 21, 2012

I guess because I am a foreigner who learned English from books, this question puzzles me. Do you mean to say that you would not know how to spell such a straightforward word? I mean, it's not some weird French or Gaelic word, really.

Kora Zinger on Sep 16, 2012

Divert-e-qu-lie-tis

Abhi on Nov 1, 2012

Growing up in a large Christian family, my mother would have washed my mouth with soap, for saying such a word. I think it sounds like some kind of skin rash condition, but, my mother would have thought it was sexual in nature.
Her favorite torture, was a bar of Ivory soap.
She stopped using it when I started blowing bubbles out of my nose.

topo gigio on Apr 21, 2013

I'd say this is not an appropriate interview question. Topics of health that do not directly related to job performance are not appropriate and should be avoided. Please move on to the next question.

Sam on May 17, 2014

"idiverticulitis"

Anonymous on Jul 5, 2016

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.