EF English First - Luck of the Draw | Glassdoor

"Luck of the Draw"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you get lucky, unlike me, you could be at a very productive and professional center. Other teachers I know feel very supported by management, have all the supplies they need, and feel prepared for class each day. You will also always be paid on time, which can not always be said for ESL teaching companies. There is also a huge amount of opportunities and venues both in and out of teaching, all within the EF brand.

Cons

If you get unlucky, like me, you can end up in an absolutely awful center. Management is inexperienced and untrustworthy and every day will be a challenge to prepare for classes. You may never know how many kids to prepare for in a class (happened to me yesterday morning: my class tripled in size with no warning). Your PA's will throw you under the bus at any opportunity to cover themselves. Entire classes may... appear on your schedule with no notice. Once a safety issue arose and we were told to lie to the parents about their students' safety to not incite a panic. The pay, while on time, is low for the standard you see amongst other companies. With the insurance they provide, you pay all your doctor bills up front and have to submit a claim to get reimbursed, but no one I know has ever gotten reimbursed. You get very little annual leave. And all those other job opportunities, you have to make it at least through your year to get to them. If you're struggling like I am, that year could feel like 5.

Advice to Management

The standard of centers needs to be the same across the board. Many other teachers I know have fabulous centers that are very productive and have a good working environment. Other centers are almost famously underperforming and the entire staff is unhappy. Every manager higher and higher that I've spoken to is acutely aware of which centers are the "problem centers", but nothing is being done to correct it.

EF English First2018-08-15

EF English First Response

August 28, 2018Vice President

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your EF experience. We take all comments seriously and would like to follow-up with you regarding your work schedule and the safety issue you mentioned. Please email us at teacher.feedback@ef.com to clarify.

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

Great experience within the country

Cons

The pay is very low

EF English First2019-07-09

"Nope. Nope. Nope."

Current Contractor - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EF English First for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays on time. That's about it.

Cons

If you want to work 80 hours a month and get paid for 60. Cancellations and No-Shows take a toll and management doesn't care. Recent change in US management office has left it totally unorganized. They can't keep track of raises, hours, or answer problems promptly. The only job I've ever ahd where you get dinged for being LESS THAT 1 MINUTE LATE. Rude and uncaring students. Teachers who praise just to get a... good review and pass students on without teaching them anything. I've had Upper Intermediate students who cannot tell you their name and have gotten 90s on every class before that. I complained to management and was told it was a shame that some teachers did not follow procedures. No chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually teach students. Don't collect money and not share. You get paid for cancellations and no-shows, don't ding the teachers that show up ready to work. Since you changed the policy on writing, there often are not writing assignments available to make up. I'm moving on to another company. Almost everyone pays better and the culture cannot be worse.

EF English First2019-10-06

Discover more reviews about EF English First.