Enterprise Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Enterprise for 6 years now, and all 6 have been nothing short of rewarding. From the time I started all the way through present time, Enterprise has given me the tools to be successful and rewarded my hard work with the recognition and promotions befit of it. Enterprise is the only company that I know of that only promotes from within while allowing their employees to earn a 6 figure pay based directly off of the hard work and dedication to performance the employee puts forth. And because of promoting only from within, a sense of a fun competitive atmosphere is always present in the branches.

Cons

The cons are limited do to each individuals ideas of importance. For some, work/life balance may be an issue. For others this is not the case. A lot of the perceived cons stem from the branches ability, or lack there of, to properly organize their day and prioritize what is urgent and important. We are also a performance based company, so the ones who are always driven to be the best, tend to put a lot more stress on themselves to perform at a level that is required to be the best.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. As long as we hold our values and policies as a top priority, being fair and balanced across the board, our employees and company will always reap the benefits.

2. "Assistant manager"

I worked at Enterprise full-time

Pros

Great coworkers fun environment teaches you how to work hard and take feedback

Cons

Hours are long and you work holidays and weekends

"Fantastic opportunities to learn - beware of burnout"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Washington, DC

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I want to provide a comprehensive review, simply because a lot of the responses on Glassdoor are just short complaints that do not provide very useful information. But before I get into that, a little breakdown of my mindset going in to working at Enterprise:

I knew it was not going to be my forever job from the beginning. I planned to stay for about a year to learn some broad-based skills and then move on to an industry in which I was more interested. A lot of people start working at ERAC with the mindset of only staying at the company for a few years, but it is absolutely an organization that has an "up or out" philosophy. If you're not willing to move up in the company, there's really no point in staying there because of how quickly people promote. If you're someone who doesn't have a problem committing a good portion of their career to one company and gaining significant financial benefits from it, then Enterprise is definitely a good option for you.

1) The People: If you ever decide to work for Enterprise, one of the first things you'll hear about the company is the quality of the employees. And while many of the ERAC mantras can be annoyingly repetitive (area managers and above frequently talk like they’ve been drinking the ERAC Kool-aid for a while), this claim is absolutely true. Enterprise hires some of the most driven, ambitious, intelligent, and genuine young people around, and they really are the strong foundation that makes the company successful.

2) The Leadership: Every single person above you was in your shoes at one point. Thus, they know what kind of garbage you go through with customers, how banal the job can be, and how exhausting it is transitioning from college (or another industry) to a 12-hour a day job. You won't see much of the higher-ups (regional managers and above) as they only pop in every few weeks to say some words of encouragement and check to make sure the branches look clean, but you will interact with your branch and assistant managers on a daily basis. Assuming they're good people and doing their jobs effectively, you will learn a lot from them while you're an MT.

3) The Skillset: You're going to work. A LOT. And you're frequently going to be working with customers who are...horrible people. Like for no reason. But through working with the large amount of people that you will (no matter how good or bad they are) you are going to gain extremely valuable skills to launch your future career - whether that's at Enterprise or somewhere else. Communication, sales, conflict management, strategic thinking, problem-solving; this is just some of what you're going to learn as an MT.

Cons

1) The Hours: Most reviews put this in the “Cons” section and it’s because it’s accurate; you will not have a work/life balance at Enterprise. The minimum expectation is 49 hours/week, which is actually what your targeted salary is based on. You will likely work around 55-60 hours/week, and your branch and assistant managers will work more. Branches are typically open from 7:30am-6:00pm, but most of us are there in the morning at 6:45am-7:00am to wash the cars in preparation for the day. Customers who come in at 6:00pm (and people absolutely will try to come in even if the doors are locked) can also hold you up for another 20-30 minutes. If you’re at an airport location or a flagship branch that is open every day, you will work holidays. If your branch is understaffed, you will not get a lunch.

2) The Work: You’re going to be doing the exact same thing every single day. Checking customers into cars takes up the majority of your time, and while the ability to constantly practice your sales pitch is pretty fun, you’re going to find yourself asking every single customer the exact same questions in an attempt to make conversation and keep up the perception of quality customer service. There’s also a lot of backend work to be done, such as calling customers to verify that they are still planning to come in to pick up a car, coordinating with body shop and dealership locations, and leaving voicemails for customers who picked up a car and haven’t returned it in a few days and now have a balance due even though their card declined. Oh, and don’t forget about cleaning the cars.

3) The Promotional Path: This is actually one of the primary reasons I left Enterprise. There’s very limited options to move beyond daily rental, and you’re really only able to do so after becoming a Branch Manager or above, which generally takes 1.5-3 years to attain. If you want to explore HR, business management, fleet work, or any other departments, you’re going to have to stick with the company for a number of years.

Advice to Management

KEEP BRANCHES FULLY STAFFED! This is honestly my largest complaint about Enterprise: you can’t expect quality customer service at a branch with not enough staff. There’s too much work to do and it’s going to mean customers will have to wait which they HATE. I constantly heard branch and area managers endlessly worrying about how ESQI can be improved and while there are often issues that do need to be addressed, one of the simplest fixes just involves hiring more people. A branch cannot be effectively run with 3 people, and an airport location can barely function at all if there are less than 10 MT’s.

4. "Customer Service Representative/ Work From Home"

I worked at Enterprise full-time

Pros

good pay for a work at home position. Lots of help from managers, good benefits.

Cons

Too many applications, that make the job harder than it has to be. hours not flexible at all.

5. "Good people, positive work environment, good training."

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been a full time employee with Enterprise for over 10 years. They do an excellent job of hiring energetic, ambitious young people. A great structure of promoting from within that promotes a good work environment. Management has been very clear with me and my coworkers of expectations, how to succeed, and encourage self improvement. The culture at Enterprise is excellent and where I am (outside of daily rental) they do an excellent job promoting work/life balance. The benefits are great, plenty of vacation days, flexible schedules, and a good 401k/profit sharing.

Cons

Enterprise is a self proclaimed conservative company. After being here a while and moving up into management I would describe that as "cheap". If you are outside of sales it's hard to feel like you are being paid what you're worth. Before you say "join the club" hear me out. I have seen multiple examples of managers making less money than certain employees on their own team. The pay structure for promotions does not make it worth the extra promotions. You get a promotion with added responsibility and can be responsible for up to 10-15 employees (development, motivation, work productivity, and customer service) yet you will average making 3-5% more than your employees. My employees also have an added benefit of working Overtime to increase their earning potential. Managers are salary based and forced to have a fixed income in my side of the business. There is not much motivation to be a highly productive manager outside of wanting a promotion. However most of those promotions just come with another 5% raise with much more added responsibility and stress with the same annual pay scale potential of getting a 2.5-3% raise annually. My suggestion is to get into the sales side of the business :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the fight of increasing wages to our high performers. Let the cream rise to the top instead of being so conservative. Set pay raises of 2.5-3% are not motivating for anyone to "Exceed" expectations.

6. "Great Environment to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Enterprise part-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the right staff, it's an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

With the wrong staff, you dread coming into work.

7. "Intern"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time

Pros

fun and a lot of nice people.

Cons

long hours and hard commute

8. "Management Trainee"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time

Pros

Good pay, good training, people are very patient

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Management Trainee"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, your managers really care about your success and happiness. You really are given the tools for success, but you need to make sure you implement them yourself and continue to learn. Great incentives to do well!

Cons

It is customer service so you are renting cars to some very rude people, but you also meet amazing people - it's a give and take experience. Long hours, but the people you work with make it worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "BRANCH MANAGER"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay. Great co workers. Flexabile management. Growth opportunities. So many learning opportunities. Benefits.

Cons

You will put in hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the team work

Showing 9,065 of 9,803 reviews