Valvoline Reviews | Glassdoor

Valvoline Chief Executive Officer and Director Samuel J. Mitchell, Jr
Samuel J. Mitchell, Jr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor management, long hours, decent pay, no ASE certification" (in 25 reviews)

• "Low pay, working in the elements/weather, high stress environment" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Technician Starting Job"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work Culture
    Good Incentives for top sales
    Good advancement opportunities if you apply yourself
    Work on just about every make and model of vehicle
    GREAT insurance

Cons

Very long hours
    Typically Shorthanded
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Increase pay for your workers. During the summer months in the south working under the hood of a hot vehicle takes a toll on you over the course of 60+ vehicles per day. Vice versa for those living in the north where it is consistently cold during the fall and winter months. Managers do way more than they should for the pay that they receive.

2. "It's good work but not for everybody"

Former Employee - Car Technician in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Car Technician in Plano, TX

I worked at Valvoline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are not afraid of working hard it can be an alternative to working in a Sales related job.

Cons

Working hard is essentially a requirement in this job.

"They have EVERYTHING covered"

Current Employee - Senior Tech
    Current Employee - Senior Tech

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valvoline is Valvoline, a vast company with over 150 years doing business.
    - Above average benefits package for full time entry level employees
    - They can afford to throw money at any hurdle that presents itself, management is sensibly frugal as to not waste money, but if there is a problem it gets solved.
    - Have an employee portal, somewhat like a forum, where any employee can submit an idea that is veiwable by every other employee and is checked fairly frequently by HR and upper management.
    - Such a focus on safety in the training and day to day work that if someone gets injured then it was truly a freak accident or Darwinism.
    - Generally speaking the customers we deal with daily are quite friendly and thankful. It's one less headache when you don't have to deal with an upset customer.
    - A very encouraging and upbeat team environment, corporate is trying to brainwash us into referring to other employees as our "Vamily"
    - We promote from within, everyone (generally speaking) starts out with the company at entry level in a service center

Cons

- Reminiscent of "Bro Culture"
    - If you fit well in the busy centers they move you to the slow centers
    - They give entirely too many chances to employees who break the rules, more than three warnings per type of violation before they get a final written warning. That final written warning only applies to that type of violation, if they commit a different type they get 4 warnings before the final for that type.
    - They try to make anyone at store level (entry level to store manager) into a mold of oil changing perfection. You must smile, you must stick to the script/procedure otherwise you're labeled and have a target on your back.
    - A lot of gossip and drama spread through management
    - Fairly low wages, an Assistant Manager only makes $15/hr
    - Raises are considered merit based, but they only come around once a year and I don't know anyone who's gotten more than a $0.75 raise. (unless they've progressed from Certified Tech to Senior Tech or Senior Tech to Assistant Manager)
    - Store managers have a salary of around 45k/year with quarterly bonuses possible depending on store performance, but they are required to work at least 50 hours per week even if they have a good team that is capable and takes care of everything without being told what to do.
    - Very rarely do we get two consecutive days off, 98% of the time or days off are split
    - Usually end up working 15 - 45 minutes longer than whatever is written on the schedule

Advice to Management

- Put more effort into the training,
    - get another maintenance tech or two,
    - replace aging equipment to improve bay times rather than telling techs that if they follow SuperPro then bay times will be fine
    - do something about the hiring process, we hire to fill a void rather than to find a person who is worth training.
    - offer small raises ($0.25-$0.75) that are actually merit based whenever someone shows that they've accomplished training tasks (significant levels such as entry level to certified, certified to senior, completing Management courses)
    - Either raise the wages or offer bonuses based on performance for Senior Techs up. Incentivize employees to work harder. We are a huge company, if we can afford to buy out and build hundreds of new stores in less than a decade then we can afford to pay members of our Vamily a living wage allowing to be financially independent and stable.

4. "Ride the waves"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule (if store can stay staffed)

Cons

Under paid and overworked, definitely the valvoline way.
    Store's can't stay staffed for whatever the reasons may be, which leads to the few loyal employees to detroy themselves on a daily basis.
    From reading many other reviews on here their seems to be a reoccurring trend in all our companies market's-low pay compared to amount of work, responsibilities and expectations set forth by the "Big Wigs" who I believe have completely forgotten what it is like to work hard. Remember where you came from that is unless you dropped right into a plush position here.
    Sure the pay scale is fine for a kid still at home in high school.
    Let's be honest, this will not pay your bills feed your family, cover child care, health care, gas to and from work.....list goes on and on ya know.
    Without getting some kind of assistance from the state you are living in. This my friends is NOT the American dream. We should not have to seek help from our government to eat.
    But you will with this job.

So possibly this review may open corporates eyes a bit and pay us better, more than likely not.
    If anything it will help others decisions in the future for employment here.

Advice to Management

Get it together and pay the one's whom line those khaki pockets so for you.
    Words like thank you mean nothing if we can't feed our family.
    PAY SCALE MUST INCREASE.
    or continue to lose employees and waste thousands training.

"Could be worse"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Saginaw, TX
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Saginaw, TX

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Friendly management
    good way to get a foot hold in the industry
    No previous experience or certifications needed

Cons

Low pay for exhausting hours, with an extremely high car count.
    Upper management, and owner of the franchise place way too high of an importance on sales and not enough importance on actually taking care of the customer. we are told too staff more CSA's ( salesmen) than actual technicians during service hrs and on high business days and then get reprimanded that the shop isnt running smoothly because the techs are too busy and too few between, and also get gripped at when we staff it with more techs than csa's too actually run smoothly and take care of the cars and in return he customer
    the customers in my area and at my shop are honestly always rude and assume that they know more than anyone else about automotive

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, remember the "core values" of the company and stop placing such an emphasis on sales and more on taking care of the customer

6. "Awesome experience"

I worked at Valvoline full-time

Pros

Team building and recognition

Cons

It can get very busy

"Eh"

Former Employee - Technician in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Technician in Lexington, KY

I worked at Valvoline part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good part time, minimal experience gain in car service

Cons

Not worth the pay, got burnt daily and had hot oil spilled on me every day for a year, for minimum wage.

8. "Quality Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Valvoline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good stable company, top 10 in lubricant business.

Cons

Less opportunity for career growth

9. "Lube Tech"

Former Employee - Lube Technician in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Lube Technician in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Valvoline (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back, working with down-to-earth techs.

Cons

Didn't like the company. Not worth moving up to upper management. This company is heavily sales based.

Advice to Management

The days of instant oil changes will soon be gone. Cars are going electrical. Mwahahahaha.

10. "Great job and great coworkers, current management is poor but upcoming management looks promising"

Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Salem, VA
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Salem, VA

I have been working at Valvoline part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great if you love cars, fun coworkers, decent pay, good breaks

Cons

Poor management, long hours, decent pay, no ASE certification