Not a bad place

Current Employee - IT Manager in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - IT Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at ModusLink

Pros

I enjoyed working with the team. IT is a good group of people and always looking out for the team and the employees.

Cons

Senior management was in disarray when I was there. Lots of comming and going so things were at a bit of a standstill.

Advice to Management

It's been a while, but a stable management team with clear goals would have been helpful. Also holding people accountable for their areas.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Really depends on what you're looking for.

Current Employee - Workforce Analyst in Lindon, UT
    Current Employee - Workforce Analyst in Lindon, UT

I have been working at ModusLink

Pros

For unskilled workers, or people trying to get a start, Moduslink is a good opportunity. When I began here as a call center agent, I noticed that the majority of the workers at my level were unintelligent, unskilled and generally had little potential...which at first made me regret my job a little, but then I realized that means that with this as my competition, and with high turnover, my chances at advancement were pretty good. Within 3 years I had more than doubled my pay rate and gained skills that have made me valuable to other (higher paying) employers (with whom I am now applying). Also, there are not really specialists here. Everyone does a variety of tasks and shares workloads--meaning that you get exposure to many systems and processes in a short period of time. For a person with talent, this place is a great training ground. Director-level management is intelligent and they get things done.

Cons

My local-level managers are incompetent. Spreadsheets are foreign to them, data is a foreign language. Few have college degrees. They manage well, but don't necessarily have the brains for running the call center well since they can't even read basic phone reports. They rely on me entirely for everything technical (which is good for my job security) and it's hard to respect and work for someone who isn't as qualified or skilled as you--they've just been alive and on the payroll longer. Boy, I hope they don't read this! Pay is low at all levels compared with local industry averages. The facility is old and dirty and my chair has no arms. :D We're moving to a new building next month. IT is very limited and doesn't support our department sufficiently.

Advice to Management

Go to college. Or quit your job and ride your four-wheeler out to the woods and go hunting with your camouflaged buddies and talk about the rodeo last night and say dad gum.

2. Company with great potential with really bad management worldwide unfortunately

Former Employee - IT Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at ModusLink

Pros

Good working environment. Colleagues are great.

Cons

Loss Making Company with many redundant top management people with no forward thinking expertise. Mid Level Executives the one driving the company with no rewards in sight. Annual restructuring activity and yet still hiring director-level positions.

Advice to Management

Promote your internal staff and reward them. Stop the restructuring practise as it is encouraging low productivity as everyone is just waiting for the "package". Hire correctly and remove the top brass in each region.