Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com
There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier Group

Very good work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Editor in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Senior Editor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

work life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Cons

hard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

I'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Reed Elsevier Group (View Most Recent)

Low professional standards and no respect for experience and knowledge.

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Benefits, but I don't really know how well these compare with other companies.

Cons

Employees are treated as disposable. Employees in the UK have no properly constituted representation and management are free to ignore workers issues on reorganisation. Professional standards have been lowered to match a cost-cutting mentality which drives the business, with quality as a distant secondary consideration. Innovation is being touted as the way forward but there is little evidence of this. Unimaginative management and a lack of real vision is holding back this development. Company is unwilling to invest in research and development and consequently is behind competitors in key areas. Company vision is too inward looking and too process driven to the point where what we do (to generate revenue) seems less important than how we do it. A cheap employee rather than an expert employee seems to be the prevaling vision. Not a plan for cutting-edge achievement.

Respect and value expertise and knowledge in your people. Uphold the values you advocate. Invest in the future and don't expect to get something for nothing.

Large company with global opportunities

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company has a large global footprint. This opens opportunities to have a career in a lot of different places including telecommuting.

Cons

Those based out of a small regional offices have less exposure to the corporate experience.

Employees in remote locations especially those in smaller locations have less opportunities for advancement and almost no exposure to corporate.

There are newer employer reviews for Reed Elsevier Group