There are newer employer reviews for Shell

A satisfying place

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

There is a lot of diversity and growth opportunity for women. There is freedom to share ideas and voice your opinions including staff who are less experienced and even newer graduates. You can contribute and make a difference. There is flexibility at work and mutual respect. They advocate and practice work life balance. This is great when you have a family needing attention .. kids or aging parents to take care of etc.. Finally there is opportunity for growth and of course the compensation is competitive..

Cons

There are a lots of rules. . . . procedures. . . Need to follow paperwork at every stage and the procedures seem to change frequently . . . . . .

Need improvment on knowledge sharing and IT issues

298 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Shell - A stong company for a career

Current Employee - Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Tremendous amount of empowerment. The more successful you are, the more you can do.
    The people of Shell are tremendous to work with.
    9/80 days are a real benefit (Trading - Lubes - Get with it...)
    Senior management is making a real effort to communicate to the employees, at all levels.
    Shell gets diversity. The most progressive of companies of all the ones I intimately know.
    Great information sharing. Very few co-workers that hoard information.
    Commitment of recruiting talent by VERY senior management.

Cons

Upper management gets it. First level supervision and management generally get it. Sometimes it is weak in-between. (Upside is that this generally corrects itself)

Don't make detailed or technology decisions without feedback from the experts.

Number one priority is always safety -- for the public as well as the employee and contractor.

Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Support Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

They are good people to work for and work with. There is mutual respect for each others professional point of view. Ethical and safe behavior is expected from all employees and is practiced at all levels of management. Input into decisions and work processes is encouraged and self-direction is expected. Although this is not true for most of Shell, Shell Pipeline in Houston still has private offices, which is a bonus. Shell Pipeline, like most of Shell in the US, is on the 9/80 (80 hours in 9 days) program where we work 9 hour days and get every other Friday off. Overtime is kept to a minimum. Also, bus fare (or parking) is subsidized.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the commute to downtown Houston. Though I have done it for so long that I am used to it.

Keep a long-term view of business. Short-term gains may lead to long-term losses.

There are newer employer reviews for Shell

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!