Exceptional

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Shell

Pros

Shell was a great work experience. The work environment was fair, respectful, and motivating. The daily work changed constantly, presenting challenges that kept me engaged. The pay and benefits are at the top of the industry. I am proud to have worked for and remain associated with this company.

Cons

Elimination of the retail channel I worked. Business strategies seemed to be move of a moving target than a concrete plan that we could stick to and drive the business.

Advice to Management

I would anticipate a need for a retail channel sometime in the future. I also believe that bio fuel and charging stations are now the "big box" fear that eliminated the retail channel, will eventually have a changing impact on the downstream market sooner than realized.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Challenging with good career development

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Flexible work schedule with the "9/80 Schedule" so you will have every other Friday off. Well compensated with pension and 401k contribution (continued without reductions or interruption during economic downturn). Generous tuition reimbursement. Large organization provides many career opportunities. Stable employment as long as you perform at a high level, network with other groups, and proactively seek out additional opportunities.

Cons

Downsizing and Offshoring has increased workload and stress of those who remain. Job postings are 3-4 years in duration unless management decides otherwise--constant reorganizations. As a global company, you are expected to work virtually (while in the office). More emphasis is currently be placed upon costs than on customer or employee benefit.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee recognition. Value your employee's opinions as much as you value market analysts'.

It is just a job.

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Good total compensation package and not too bad people around.

Cons

Too many re-organizatons! And you have to have a very good network.

Advice to Management

Should be more inclusive and nurture talents instead of showing favoritism to friends.