TechTarget

www.techtarget.com
  www.techtarget.com
There are newer employer reviews for TechTarget

The experience is what you make of it (and who you work with)

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at TechTarget

Pros

- I have had a fantastic experience at TechTarget. I've been blessed with awesome coworkers, fantastic managers and a lot of room to grow. In 2.5 years, I had two promotions. This is definitely a reap-what-you-sow kind of place.
- The work/life balance is so great. Having previously worked at a several newspapers, it's just unreal. I can take off early to go to a night class, start later to go to yoga, work from home most days. As long as you get your work done on time and do it well, you get a lot of latitude.
- Underperformers are shown the door. Some people might cite this as a con, but for those of us who work hard and care about our jobs, it's a relief. I think people are definitely supported if they're struggling, but those who take advantage of the system don't stay very long. I've worked in places where it seemed impossible to get fired, and the result is there's a lot of dead weight. I don't see that here.
- Although there are a number of entry-level positions, I disagree that this is just "a good place to get your feet wet." I think it's feasible to make a career here.
- It's a relief not to have to worry about how many personal days I've used if I need to take the day off for something.
- The bagels, etc., are a nice touch. The company also runs quarterly "innovation awards," giving away iPads for simple ideas that save/make money for the company.

Cons

- Pay isn't that great. A competitor recently reached out to me about an open position, offering between $20-30k more than what I currently make. I know it sounds nuts to shrug that off, but I'm pretty happy here. I made the mistake once of taking a job solely for the pay (and turned the blinders on the bad environment). Pay isn't everything.
- You do work hard. But if you come from the news/publishing world, this shouldn't be a wake-up call or anything. I actually thought it was less intense than previous jobs. That said, I still burn the midnight oil from at least once a week.
- If you have no experience in technology, there is a steep learning curve. It can be frustrating, and TechTarget doesn't offer much by way of education there.
- The content is pretty dull, which can weigh down on you after a while. Try as I might, I can't be passionate about servers and software.
- As with ANY job at a midsized to large company, your experience will strongly depend on your group/manager. I'm lucky to work with a really great bunch. I have heard of some less-than-savory experiences.

Offer more competitive wages! Please!

117 Other Employee Reviews for TechTarget (View Most Recent)

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TechTarget

Pros

-Great place to work if you are right out of college to get your feet wet
    -Free soda and water
    -Open door policy
    -Flexible schedule
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Low pay for the amount of work done
    -Process and structure from managers change constantly with no consistency left for employees
    -Sales likes to make up products and sell off to clients
    -Learning new technologies on the fly with no room to test
    -Directors and Managers treat there employees with disrespect
    -Seniority does not mean anything
    -"Do as I say not as I do"

TechTarget promotes growth prior to hiring, but If you are not in a "click" you are considered an outsider and will not succeed.

Higher management really needs to listen to there employees along with compensating those who really put the effort to make a great product. Stop pushing out the door employees who KNOW the products and can help more than hurt. Contract personal with management experience/knowledge and foundation to guide the team, rather than promote someone who is in your "click".

Great people and atmosphere - compensation not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget

Pros

Great people, relaxed work environment, open leave policy, free bagels on Wed, free coffee, tea water and sodas

Cons

The salaries are really low compared to the amount of work you put in, open leave policy works adversly as people feel guilty for taking time off

Pay your employees more or you will continue to have high turnover

There are newer employer reviews for TechTarget