Virtual Instruments

www.virtualinstruments.com
  www.virtualinstruments.com
There are newer employer reviews for Virtual Instruments

My experience getting hired was good!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros

The recruiting team is pretty knowledgable and pro-active. My pay is at competitive market, it's actually a little more than what my friends are getting, Pre-IPO stocks & the normal benefits. Oh, they do offer a free membership for Club One which is way better than 24 hour fitness! The environment is pretty casual, there's good flexibility. My direct manager is really cool and was pretty hands on when I started but now I'm running with things on my own so you can say he's hands off when you don't need him.

Cons

-My interview was long, I had to meet with 6-7 engineers but it was nice because they asked me some really technical type questions that gave me an idea of how deep and technical the scope of the projects are.

-They don't serve free food everyday like most start-ups but they do offer free drinks and snacks.

More days of free lunch instead of once a week.

19 Other Employee Reviews for Virtual Instruments (View Most Recent)

#3 Most Promising Company in America

I have been working at Virtual Instruments as a contractor

Pros

'Visionary" Product (Gartner)
    Collaborative Culture
    Dedicated Employees and Executives
    Work-Life Balance

Cons

I've been here for 6 months and haven't come across many cons. Like any start-up, people are spread thin and this has the effect of slowing down processes.

Keep up the good work.

Laid back culture but somewhat broken communication in engineering departments.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Virtual Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent pay, good work life balance and career opportunity
    - Very good health benefits if you are single, no dependents
    - Hands off engineering management
    - No politics, open door policy

Cons

The previous reviewer : "Reviewed Dec 8, 2012", may be over exaggerating but definitely seeing somewhat the same pattern.

- Laid-back, lack of commitment, accountability from development on deliverables and due date.

- Broken process and communication between engineering teams and their managers. Things sometimes are seen as done / on-track but in reality the code is not yet reviewed or submitted, it is sitting on an engineer's laptop somewhere and status is green.

- Due to the above, gives the development engineers free reign on impacting the schedule, code complete, feature complete milestones. On the bright-side, this also works both ways. Engineers also works nights and weekends to help pull the dates in when things are on fire. But this could have been prevented in the first place with better tracking process.

- Overall, visibility from engineering management is sometimes in-accurate. Causing mis-interpretation of expectations, status and schedule. This also impacts other teams in the dependency pipeline in the same manner. The good news is that management is now somewhat aware and trying to address it.

- Not much visibility, recognition; there are times when you literally need to fend for yourself for it, shout, scream, blast out in mailing lists. If you are passionate about coding, innovation and building new stuff this might not be the best place for you.

This company has great potential. Hands off management is awesome but it needs to be regulated with visibility in mind.

There are newer employer reviews for Virtual Instruments

Worked for Virtual Instruments? Contribute to the Community!