America Reads and Counts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at America Reads and Counts

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

You don't really get interviewed. As long as you show that you have work study eligibility, you're chosen. You go through an orientation then go into separate rooms with about 5 other tutors and one person asks if you have any experience and asks if you have any questions.

Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (Fullerton, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Very easy process. I applied through my school's federal work study website, so I am no sure if this job is available to non-federal work study students. Applied online and was contacted about a week later by email. Scheduled an in-person group interview session through this email. This took about another week.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (Durham, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

I met with the manager of the program at Duke University. It was a quick and casual interview. We met in the manager's office on campus. I had to submit my resume beforehand and was granted the interview based on resume. This was a one to one interview in which I had to answer a few short questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position? What experience do you have working with children? How would you handle a difficult situation with a student?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

America Counts Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (New York, NY).

Interview

A pretty easy process. I got an email from the program about applying and from there I just went to the website and applied. The questions on the application are the standard ones. After that, if you get selected, you're invited in for a group interview. It's pretty informal and the questions are pretty easy. There's a very relaxed feel.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you disagree with the way the head teacher has done something?   Answer Question

Student Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Applicants had to attend an orientation where we learned about the program and the experiences of former tutors. Several videos were shown on the proper and improper method of interacting with students. Then, group interviews of about a dozen applicants and 1 interviewer were conducted. The interviewer asked us questions about our backgrounds and interest in teaching children. It was a fairly casual experience and a week or two later we were allowed to start working.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2013.

Interview

They asked me about myself and why I want to work for them. I was asked to create an activity plan I would have presented to a student in order to master an objective.

Interview Questions

• Present an activity plan to teach the student how to count   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (Tempe, AZ) in August 2012.

Interview

First you sent an email with your school schedule and then you set up an interview in person with the head coordinator of the program. It's a formal interview therefore formal attire is required. The staff is really nice and professional and they really like their job. It's an organization that focuses on helping kids of low income to become more independent and develop their skills.

Interview Questions

• If you had a kid that does not want to read what would you do to change his/her mind?   Answer Question
    • How would you work with English learners students?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any previous experience working with kids?   Answer Question
    • What is professionalism to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was a tutor for a year and then promoted to the management team

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

It was an online application through NYU with basic questions about who you are, what college you were in at the university, what subjects you wanted to tutor, and why you were interested in the position. It was very simple, but it was only available to work study students.

Interview Questions

• Past experience, subjects interested in tutoring, ages of students you would prefer to tutor   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at America Reads and Counts (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process is very informal (at least for the America Reads and Counts program in my university). After applying, you must attend an information session where you fill out all of the necessary paper work to start working. From the information they presented, it seems as though everyone who applies, and whose class schedule allows them to work the minimum amount of hours per week required (which is about 8 hours a week), automatically is invited to the information session.

During the session, the America Reads and Counts staff explain what the job entails. Afterward, students are split up into small groups, consisting of about 5-7 people. The interviewer then asks you very basic questions about your major and your reason for applying. It is very informal and the purpose of the group interview is just to get a sense of who you are. You're pretty much guaranteed a job offer afterward, and are assigned a school via email based on your location preferences.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience working with children? (Note: Prior experience working with children is not needed to obtain a job as a tutor for America Reads and Counts.)   Answer Question