Americans for Prosperity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 30, 2017

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Americans for Prosperity

Field Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity.

Interview

Thorough interview with state level staff and in DC. I was impressed with the questions and quality of the hiring process. AFP does a good job of screening candidates, for the most part.

Interview Questions

• How do you picture your field office looking in six months?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR manager for 30 mins. Most of questions are about behavior questions. Second round is with manager, still 30 mins. Manager asked me some professional questions, and my skills.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process is two-fold. First, you'll interview with their Recruiting Coordinator, of whom runs their Intern Program. If selected, you'll interview with the hiring manager for the role you're applying for. From there, they'll make a decision. The entire process usually takes about a month. If extended an offer, you have to pass a criminal background check and social media background check prior to beginning your employment with the organization.

Interview Questions

• How would an opportunity with Americans for Prosperity aid you in one of your five year goals?   Answer Question
    • What's a value or principal that you most embody and why does that make you the best applicant for this role?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • How did you first hear about Americans for Prosperity? What's your understanding of the organization?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity (Arlington, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

I had gone into interview for a manager role at this organization knowing full well how conservative they were. But I was still completely caught off guard at how blatant they were about it. The position I applied for would not have been directly related to their mission as it was an overhead position. But that did not stop them from asking me how conservative I was and how I would live and breath their conservative values. They then asked me several different questions about what I think about the current state of government and what programs work well and what programs don't. They also asked me what my "great american story" was since I was a female from a different country. Needless to say, this line of questioning was making me very uncomfortable. I had not expected to be asked such personal questions for a role that was unrelated to their actual mission. I actually kept thinking that this was probably discrimination and that what they were asking me must be illegal but I guess your political views are not a protected class in this country. I would never go back to this organization and would not recommend it to anyone else.

Field Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity.

Interview

Extremely lengthy and thorough interview process. First I had a half hour phone interview with someone from HR to go through my resume. Then met with the Grassroots Director in my state, this interview was over an hour and a half. Third, a phone interview with the State Director who recommended me to interview at headquarters in Washington, D.C. I was flown up to D.C. for two rounds of tag team interviews from members of the organization in D.C. Lastly, I met with the State Director one remaining time nearly 3 weeks later, and was offered a position later that day.The entire process from start to finish took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Could you explain an instance where you displayed true humility in a job position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity (Arlington, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

First interview is with HR in Arlington, VA. Then they fly you to VA to interview with 2 groups of people -- HR, legal, social media, etc. Then a final phone interview with state director. In all, it took 4-6 week from first interview until first day of work. They do check social media background, so be prepared to explain it if there might be an issue.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were challenged and what did you learn.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity (Nashville, TN) in May 2014.

Interview

- Phone interview with state’s Communications Director. Largely focused on political experience/connections within the state.
    - Phone interview with HR representative in Arlington, VA headquarters. Largely focused on ideology and past experience.
    - In-person interview with State Director in Nashville, TN. Largely focused on ability to contribute quickly.

Interview Questions

• Past political experience, ability to grow a grassroots network, ability to work in a non-traditional environment (long hours as an individual)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

Lots of interviews with various members of the staff. Overall, friendly and not too intimidating with a relatively quick follow-up process. Most questions were about background and past experience, why I relate to the mission, career goals, ect. Fairly standard questions.

Interview Questions

• AFP uses the SOB model for interviews. Situation, Behavior, Outcome--not other SOB you're probably thinking of   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Americans for Prosperity in March 2011.

Interview

Phone screening after employee referral, plus two separate meetings with the director. Discussion of position and presentation of portfolio. On the final meeting, a job offer was presented after follow-up questions were asked regarding my vision and how my skills could help the organization's mission.

Interview Questions

• I asked them if this position in any way required me to endorse specific political candidates or speak highly of them.   1 Answer