Ampush Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ampush Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

1. Short, 5 question, 15 minute timed quiz focusing on marketing metrics. Review some basic math before.
    2. Phone interview with a media analyst. Pretty basic interview stuff and you walk through a case study with the interview and will be asked some quantitative stuff.
    3. Video Conference - Interviewed with three people. First was a quant interview. Walked through a case study answering some questions about how to approach a driver acquisition facebook ad campaign.
    2nd interview was some basic interview stuff. Lot of behavioral questions but relatively simple.
    3rd interview was short and basically a screening with the manager of the office, Very nice people.
    4. Video Conference Case Study presentation - this was relatively difficult. 30 min presentation followed by a 30 minute Q/A with a panel of 5-6 team members. Be extremely prepared for the Q/A.
    5. ??

Interview Questions

• 30 minute case study presentation to a panel of 5 team members. Prepare a budget and campaign strategy for a new mobile gaming app launch.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ampush (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Overall an ok experience. Everyone was friendly and got back to me promptly. I cannot emphasize enough the wonderful experience I had with everyone I directly dealt with. They all seem like good, hardworking, intelligent people. And more than anything else, it was they who made me want to join Ampush.

The process itself is rather unusual (included behavioral questions, quantitative analysis, and case study). It was an interesting, thought-provoking, and fun process...albeit very long (as most people mentioned). After two weeks with an online quiz and phone interview, I had an onsite interview. There, I was told that the process would take another month and include three more steps. This was very disappointing to me, as it seems excessive and I wonder how many job seekers have that kind of time. Sadly, I was not considered to move onto the next step, though I think this is for the best as I had two other offers and could not afford to continue on for another month.

Other than this, the only negative I had was when I went in for an onsite interview. I was scheduled for three back-to-back interviews. After the second interview, I was told my third interviewer could not make it. This was very inconsiderate and unprofessional. I had a busy schedule and had set aside valuable time for this interview; this time was carelessly wasted. It was almost as if the interviewer was saying that his time was more important than mine. More than anything else, this is what soured what would have been an otherwise wonderful experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral (cultural fit): why you want to be in digital marketing and Ampush specifically   Answer Question
    • Quantitative: campaign scenarios, with questions about number of impressions, CTR, conversion rates, costs, etc. The questions themselves are easy. Just don't hesitate to ask for the question to be repeated, and slow down. Otherwise, you'll make careless mistakes, especially if you're a visual person who prefers to see the questions in front of you.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ampush (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Take home test that was given o n l i n e where you sign in and answer a few basic math questions. No background beyond high school required. Bring a basic calculator.

Interview Questions

• If an add is shown X times and clicked on Y% of the time and you charge $Z per click, what is the total cost?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ampush (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied to be a Media Analyst with Ampush through my college and continued through a multi step process of many interviews until receiving an offer, which I ultimately declined.

The interview process consisted of an online test (5 questions, straightforward marketing math), a phone interview, an in person interview (three back to back interviewers) at the New York office, an in person presentation (requiring a couple hours of prep), and finally an hour long phone interview with the CEO. After my conversation with the CEO, I was asked to send in my SAT scores and provide two references. Then, I was asked for a third reference (they called all three). After all of that, I spoke with HR several times before receiving an offer.

I found the interview process to be unnecessarily lengthy, grueling, and not transparent. At each step, Ampush was very unclear as to what the next step would be or how far along I was. I found it bizarre and slightly insulting that I was asked to provide my SAT scores after my conversation with the CEO - seems like they could have asked for that earlier in the process if it was something they needed.

I ultimately declined because the company did not seem to be a good personality match. It did not appear to be very diverse (especially gender wise). They seemed to expect 50-60 hours a week. They boast fun start up culture but I did not feel like that was truly their vibe. During our final interview, the CEO challenged many of my responses to his questions. Wasn't sure that that was really an effective tactic for getting to know me or my work style. After I declined, everyone I had met or spoken to at Ampush (including the CEO) reached out to me to express disappointment, get feedback about why I said no, and to wish me luck with the job I did choose, which I appreciated a lot. The person who would have been my boss was especially kind. It became way more apparent how much they were interested in me as a candidate only after I said no, which is a result of a confusing and lengthy interview process. I hope for their sake that they work on this, as I think that it is probably a generally fine place to work that just has some growing pains.

Interview Questions

• What is the most analytical task you have ever completed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ampush (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Here is the interview process as I experienced it:
    1. Applied
    2. Received Email to complete a short quiz
    - The quiz has a 15 minute time limit with 5 questions. You have to complete it within 3 days of receiving the email.
    - Content of the quiz was marketing math. The other reviews here cover everything you need.
    - Don't stress if you don't get an email to take the quiz immediately after submitting the quiz. For me, there was a 1 month delay (which was annoying).
    3. Invited for a video conference call with a media analyst (1-2 days later)
    - Tech Formal (aka not too formal but put together)
    - Basic interview questions, Analytical question (very similar to quiz), Case Questions (another reviewer on here has an excellent breakdown of the case. Also look at their website for cases)
    4. Invited to On-Site interview (1-2 days later)
    - Not much to say here. Except that the quantitative section (no calculator) of the interview is long and very important to doing well. You can do well on the behavioral but mess up the quant and...
    5. Next Steps - Presentation (1 week to make it and then return on-site to present)
    6. Call/Meeting with Founders.
    7. Offer..??
    Overall a very long process

Interview Questions

• What kind of company culture are you looking for?
      Why Ampush/Why X position/Thoughs on AdTech Industry etc?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ampush (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me first. After looking at their website and news about the company, I thought it was an interesting company and figured I'd talk with them. The interview with the recruiter was a bit stressful, which I found a bit unusual. After asking the usual "why are you interested in Ampush", later in the conversation, I was asked again, "no really, why are you interested". I didn't think I gave any indication that I wasn't interested. Also, I was asked several questions at once and wasn't given much of a chance to answer all the questions. Near the end of the conversation, the recruiter seemed to indicate that they were looking for someone with experience in the AdTech space (which I didn't have) and implied that maybe if I was smart enough, they'd consider me. I was a bit put off by that comment.

I made it to the next round of interviewing (video call), which I thought was pretty normal.

When they turned me down, they said they were looking for someone with AdTech experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ampush (New York, NY).

Interview

Very time-consuming, and many steps. First was an online screening test, then a half hour phone interview, then a skype interview with two different people lasting well over an hour, then an in-office interview with three different people lasting about 3 hours. The interviews were pretty intense, and had some math/analytics problems intermingled with the usual interview questions After all this, I was invited to meet with the VP and was expecting an offer, as I had received very positive feedback from my other interviews and figured they wouldn't spend so much time interviewing a candidate they were not interested in. Met with him for about an hour, and later received a rejection letter stating I would not be suited for this position given that I was a part-time grad student taking evening courses twice a week (I had a full-time job at the time, so school had not interfered with my ability to work full time). Apparently they expect 55-60+ hours a week, so having an after-hours commitment is a dealbreaker. However, all of my previous interviewers had known I was in school, so I wish they would have relayed this information up rather than waste both of our time (not to mention my PTO) on this exceedingly long process.

Interview Questions

• Be sure to study calculations for digital marketing metrics (cpm, cpa, etc)   Answer Question

Media Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ampush.

Interview

The interview process includes a quiz, a phone interview, 2 Skype interviews with a multitude of analytical, personal, and case study questions. In the final round they have you prepare a 15 minute presentation in which you pitch a campaign strategy for a new app release to a team of employees.

In the end I waited a week to hear that I was turned down because I "didn't show enough enthusiasm for the ad-tech industry". Wish they could have determined that in the first round of interviews and saved me the trouble...

Interview Questions

• Create a 10-15 minute presentation over the campaign strategy and budget allocation for the new Clash of Beaches game release.   Answer Question

Media Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ampush in March 2016.

Interview

First round is a basic math quiz online. I prepared for it by brushing up on marketing metrics and quick calculations. Second round interview was on the phone. Lasted about 30-40 minutes. Started with behavioral questions. Then went into a short case question on one of their clients. They used Uber as an example and asked if I were to launch an ads campaign that targeted driver acquisition, what would I do and how much revenue Ampush would make from it. I also had to tie in metrics from the quiz I previously took in order to calculate cost and revenue.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you faced a challenge and how you went about solving it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ampush (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Online timed math test - 15 minutes, 5 questions. Then a behavioral phone interview - asked a lot about the industry as well as my experiences in marketing and advertising. Last round was an in person/skype case interview - moving backwards from a desired CPI to what you should bid.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in digital advertising and adtech?   Answer Question