British Council Interview Questions | Glassdoor

British Council Interview Questions

Interviews at British Council

Art Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at British Council in April 2013.

Interview

I saw the job advertised on their website and applied on-line. I was invited to interview several weeks after application. There was one interview with a panel of three senior managers, and the interview lasted approximately 1 1/2 hr. There were both behavioural questions as well as drill down questions on my experience and how it related to the post. The overall interview was difficult but in an enjoyable challenging way.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project you managed and your role in it.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

I got the invitation weeks after sending the resume and I was told that I passed the first round of interview.
    I was told to wear formal dress for that.
    There were two part of the interview, first was face to face conversation with the employers and the second part was to answer a few questions about admin on paper.
    The first part went fairly well, just some basic questions like: why do you apply for this position? What's your past work experience? The most difficult experience at your work. Tell us about an event that shows you are very detail-oriented.
    I honestly admitted that I had never worked as an admin assistant but I have related experience as a foreign affair assistant at school, and from my last internship at Disney English I got pretty familiar with communicating with clients. It went pretty good. It was important to be honest with your boss.
    And I got the offer a week after.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the work experience on your CV   1 Answer

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

Long phone interview, based on Competencies and BC values. Remember the person interviewing you will be the kind of humourless muppet who ends up as a BC Manager so tailor your answers accordingly.

Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at British Council (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

An endless application form followed by questions that were the same as those int he application form. Felt very bureucratic.

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Council (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process included core competency questions as well as questions regarding interest in organization. They were very interested in learning about my professional background and what led me to the British Council. They also wanted to know what I could bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to manage multiple deadlines and projects. How did you handle the situation and what was the result?   Answer Question

Numerous Positions Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at British Council in February 2017.

Interview

Very clearly outlined role profile. Shortlisting done against every criteria.
    During the interview you are asked many times ‘give us an example of when...’ ‘tell us about a time you...’
    the philosophy is that past behavior is the best indicator of future performance.

Interview Questions

• Questions are asked about British Council behaviors and you are asked for examples of how you have demonstrated each one.   Answer Question

Branch Support Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

I applied application online. They acknowledge my application immediately (BC only acknowledge short-listed CV). After 5 working days, BC called me for interview. I had 5 days for interview preparation. The interview is not difficult if you well prepare. BC's interview is Competent-based questions. Read BC's behaviour guide carefully before the interview as the interview panel will ask practical questions regarding your past experience to see how it matches with their culture/value.

Interview Questions

• - Could you tell me how do you build trust?
      - Could you tell me an example in your past where you handled job difficulty?
      - Tell us how did you work with different parties holding different aims?
      - etc   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Council in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was conducted over Skype initially and the phone thereafter ( there was a poor connection on their part). There was a panel made up of regional staff and local country office staff .

Interview Questions

• They asked me to translate my specific skills and experience to specific core values in their manifesto and the role I was interviewing for e.g valuing people, creativity, inclusion etc.   Answer Question

Language Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nanjing, Jiangsu (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at British Council (Nanjing, Jiangsu (China)) in May 2009.

Interview

Sent in CV and Cover Letter. Interview was laid back. Asked about what challenges I foresaw when teaching in China and whether I had an ideas for lessons

Interview Questions

• What difficulties do you think that are teaching in China?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Language Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

There was no interview to take, just a motivation statement that you had to fill out on the form when applying and a place to explain what teaching experience you have. Make sure to be truthful on the form as to where you want to live etc. There is a high chance that you will not get your first choice, but you will probably get your second. The trickiest thing is actually to get the DBS form completed in time as this took much longer than you would think to be processed.

Interview Questions

• What teaching experience do you have?   2 Answers