British Council Interview Questions | Glassdoor

British Council Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

Long phone interview, based on Competencies and BC values. Remember the person interviewing you will be the kind of humourless muppet who ends up as a BC Manager so tailor your answers accordingly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

I got the invitation weeks after sending the resume and I was told that I passed the first round of interview.
    I was told to wear formal dress for that.
    There were two part of the interview, first was face to face conversation with the employers and the second part was to answer a few questions about admin on paper.
    The first part went fairly well, just some basic questions like: why do you apply for this position? What's your past work experience? The most difficult experience at your work. Tell us about an event that shows you are very detail-oriented.
    I honestly admitted that I had never worked as an admin assistant but I have related experience as a foreign affair assistant at school, and from my last internship at Disney English I got pretty familiar with communicating with clients. It went pretty good. It was important to be honest with your boss.
    And I got the offer a week after.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the work experience on your CV   1 Answer

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Council (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process included core competency questions as well as questions regarding interest in organization. They were very interested in learning about my professional background and what led me to the British Council. They also wanted to know what I could bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to manage multiple deadlines and projects. How did you handle the situation and what was the result?   Answer Question

Branch Support Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at British Council.

Interview

I applied application online. They acknowledge my application immediately (BC only acknowledge short-listed CV). After 5 working days, BC called me for interview. I had 5 days for interview preparation. The interview is not difficult if you well prepare. BC's interview is Competent-based questions. Read BC's behaviour guide carefully before the interview as the interview panel will ask practical questions regarding your past experience to see how it matches with their culture/value.

Interview Questions

• - Could you tell me how do you build trust?
      - Could you tell me an example in your past where you handled job difficulty?
      - Tell us how did you work with different parties holding different aims?
      - etc   1 Answer

Art Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at British Council in April 2013.

Interview

I saw the job advertised on their website and applied on-line. I was invited to interview several weeks after application. There was one interview with a panel of three senior managers, and the interview lasted approximately 1 1/2 hr. There were both behavioural questions as well as drill down questions on my experience and how it related to the post. The overall interview was difficult but in an enjoyable challenging way.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project you managed and your role in it.   Answer Question

Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at British Council (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

An endless application form followed by questions that were the same as those int he application form. Felt very bureucratic.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Council (Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)) in June 2017.

Interview

Subsequent to online application, there would be a shortlisting process.

Shortlisted candidates are invited to an interview and the interview length and content depends on the role. Prospective team members and managers also take part.

Interview Questions

• Give us a real-life example of a situation/problem relevant to this role.   Answer Question

Finance and Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kathmandu (Nepal)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Council (Kathmandu (Nepal)).

Interview

You have to fill up a form where you need to outline your competencies through examples. Similar questions related to competency like team work, customer service, problem solving etc are asked in the interview. If you are applying for a finance related job, there will be at least 1 tehnical question. It can be explaining a previous work experience or simply aan explanation of accounting concept.

Interview Questions

• Explain a past experience of preparing and managing budget.   Answer Question

Invigilator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harare (Zimbabwe)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at British Council (Harare (Zimbabwe)) in May 2017.

Interview

the interview pannel had two people and they did their best to ensure a relaxed environment for the interview. the panelists were taking turns to ask questions, most of which were follow up questions.

Interview Questions

• i was asked about a point I had exhibited the greatest commitment in my past work; and, if i had worked with children before.   Answer Question

English Language Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Council (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Requires an initial form to be completed with general information, language proficiency and detailed essay type answers on how you would teach UK culture, work in a team, have shown leadership, are adaptable and have the motivation to do the job.

The interview that followed was an automated video interview that gives you a question and then either 30 seconds or a minute and a half to prepare a reply depending on the complexity. The answer period was roughly two minutes for each question if I remember correctly. The questions were a mix of general interview questions that you would expect, as well as some rather obscure questions. However, it was still a rather easy interview, just practice speaking to your webcam a bit before if you haven't done a video interview.

Interview Questions

• why would you be a good teacher?   Answer Question
    • you are in a remote village and have to teach a night class, how would you get to the school safely, what steps could you take?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation