Brookings Institution Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brookings Institution Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.9

John L Thornton China Center Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

After submitting your application online, you wait around a week to hear back on the interview. I think they do a resume screening and get you back within 3 days if they don't like it.

After scheduling a time slot, you get a 30~min phone interview. They ask you about your policy background and interests in Brookings.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

Got an email asking for interview times a few weeks after I submitted my materials. Set up a time for a phone call. Discussed my CV and relevant experiences, and then what my tasks would be as an intern.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the relevant experiences on your resume, what questions do you have for us... no surprises!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

Standard phone screen followed by first-round interview, which was held over Skype. Questions were virtually all about my character or experience. They were exceptional at responding to emails and very timely in giving me a final answer, something that shouldn't be underrated in this world of frequently cold-hearted recruiting.

Interview Questions

• How closely did you interact with superiors at X organization?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

Phone Interview by potential supervisor followed one to two weeks later with an inperson interview which lasted about 3 hours. I first met with my potential supervisor for about 45 minutes, 30 minute skills test, next I met with my potential team for about 35 minutes, next I met with HR for about 30 minutes or so.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

I interviewed with several different people from the department. There was an initial 30-minute phone screening with several people on staff, then a set of in-person interviews lasting a couple of hours.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly unexpected. The interview questions were standard.   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screening with somebody in HR on a Friday, then conducted a writing test for the position over the weekend. Was told a week later that I was not selected for the position

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you know about Brookings, this program, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

I interviewed with the person in charge of the Center for Middle East Policy because that was the internship that I applied for. She asked me a bunch of normal interview questions, it's very cut throat institution because it is so prestigious. They are definitely looking for older/more experienced people

Interview Questions

• Q: What experience do you have with Middle East policy?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

There were two main interviews. One was with the person I would presumably working with directly, and the second was a the head of the department I had applied to. I assume that the hiring process is handled a bit differently depending on the position and department. Everyone was very flexible and a pleasure to speak with. It took a few months and I did know someone who worked with the persons in this department who I used as a reference.

Interview Questions

• What books are you currently reading? (Pertaining to the research area I was applying for).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

I first had a phone screening, which was pretty basic and with an HR rep. Then 6 weeks later, I had in-person interviews with the scholar and their RA. Questions were thoughtful and in-depth about the research focus area, and not behavioral. Some of the questions were surprisingly personal. Then I was shuttled off to meet with a panel of several additional interviewees from some of the support roles within that division. That interview was much easier, and mostly a review of my resume.

I didn't hear back regarding my candidacy for an ENTIRE MONTH, despite emailing to figure out the result. The process overall seemed very disorganized to me, and it was not okay to leave a candidate hanging for literal weeks between every stage of the hiring process. Brookings can only get away with disorganization like this because it's so prestigious.

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion on [a specific piece of writing] by this scholar?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted an application online and heard back a few weeks later saying I'd been selected for an interview. They scheduled an interview for later that week over the phone with the directors of the program. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. All interaction was timely and professional.

Interview Questions

• The only mildly interesting question was when they asked me how I would solve a particular economics problem.   Answer Question