Brookings Institution Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brookings Institution Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted an application online and heard back a few weeks later saying I'd been selected for an interview. They scheduled an interview for later that week over the phone with the directors of the program. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. All interaction was timely and professional.

Interview Questions

• The only mildly interesting question was when they asked me how I would solve a particular economics problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted 2 weeks later about a phone interview. The phone interview was 40 minutes long and was conducted by two research assistants. We talked about my background, the reasons why I wanted to intern with Brookings and some substance questions related to the field. They were very nice and provided an overview of the internship itself.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job, was given a fairly standard HR screening two weeks later. Told 1-2 weeks for a decision. After checking in intermittently, learned that they had hired another candidate about two months later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that something unexpected happened, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was interviewed by a research assistant. S/he asked me straightforward and predictable interview questions regarding my strengths, weaknesses, past experience, biggest obstacle faced, etc. S/he was very friendly and got back to me in timely manner with an internship offer.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Online resume/cover letter drop from their jobs board. About 1.5 weeks later, I got an email to schedule a phone screen with HR. The screen was 2 days later -- short (20min) and very straightforward ("why Brookings?", "tell me about your experience.")

The following week, I received an email asking me to come in for an in-person interview, which consisted of an hour-long interview with the small research team and a brief chat with an HR rep. The first interview was very enjoyable -- the researchers truly wanted to understand my interests, my work style, and how those things would fit with their team. It was very relaxed and I had a great time. We went over time, but I was able to ask a few questions.

The HR interview was immediately after and was largely informational. I was asked two questions about my interest in the position before the rep discussed Brookings' culture, workflow, etc. The rep then opened the floor for questions, and we chatted a bit about Brookings. Very friendly and relaxed.

I was asked to complete a writing task that weekend. It was certainly a decent amount of work, but seemed very aligned with the type of assignment an RA would be asked to complete.

The next week, I was asked to submit the names of 3 references via an online platform. I got a call with an offer that same week. Overall, it was almost exactly one month between the date of my application and the date of my offer.

Interview Questions

• Very few "typical" questions at the in-person interview. Half were about my research processes/skills ("how would you approach x research task?"); the other half were about the group's research topic ("tell me your thoughts on y policy topic").   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process surprised me. I had an initial phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes, followed by an interview at the Brookings Institution that lasted about 2.5 hours. They ran a tight schedule and made sure to introduce me to several people. Everyone was very friendly, to an extent that surprised me given what I expected would be a competitive environment. I was frustrated that they could not tell me what the salary would be if I were offered the position. But the interview was conversational, professional, high level, and very enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when an organization where you worked could have used a better approach to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

There were three interviews: a phone screen and two face to face interviews. The first phone screen was with a member of HR, the second was with the two research directors and the third was with the managing director of the foreign policy program.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have not yet negotiated

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I got a request from the research director to set up a phone call. Phone call occurred a week later and lasted 30 minutes. Easy questions, just wanted to assess my qualifications and background. Nice interviewer. Two weeks went by and I emailed them on the status of the job, and the research director told me they had chosen someone else.

Financial Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brookings Institution in July 2016.

Interview

An automated email (without a valid reply-to address) invited me to schedule a phone interview with Brookings HR. When I spoke with the staffer, she asked standard questions (walk me through your resume, etc.) and said she would be in touch to let me know whether Brookings would be moving forward with my application. I did not have a phone number or email address at which I could contact the staffer, since I received all correspondence from an automated address. Then, more than a month later, I received an automated email saying my application had been moved to the next round and that I would be interviewing in person the following week at a certain time. This message was followed by another automated email saying that I had received the first email in error and that I was, in fact, rejected. Classy.

Interview Questions

• Why did your salary expectations increase since you submitted your application online?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was immediately contacted for a 30 minute phone interview. Standard interview questions were asked. I was then asked to complete a simple job simulation, which required you to find some Census data and then prepare a one-page memo for a politician, and offered an hour-long in person interview with the project manager. Most of the interview questions were about my skills and why I was interested in the position. Anyone who applies should definitely spend some time reading some of the scholars' works, as they will ask you about this. I was not contacted again.