California State Assembly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

California State Assembly Interview Questions

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at California State Assembly

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California State Assembly (San Ramon, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the local office to share my interest in taking on a staff position. After, I sent a resume and cover letter, two months passed and a field representative position opened up. I was contacted to come in for an interview. The interview was about 45 minutes with the state representative and staff member. After a few days, I had a follow-up phone interview (informal) with another staff member and started the position about a week later.

Interview Questions

• What do you think this position entails?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at California State Assembly (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Applied online and communicated through email with my employer, the Financial Director. We set up an interview time at the office where I was led into the Assembly member's office. After an interview that lasted about 30 minutes of vocal questions, I was led to my intended workspace to write a few paragraphs on a recent government issue (they gave me a topic). Luckily, I had heard something on NPR driving to my interview that day and was able to provide some hard information. From that, it was discerned that I was (at least raised) a Democrat. Having been raised to be on the opposite political side was no problem however, though they did reiterate that I was to represent a Republican office for as long as I worked there.

Interview Questions

• If you're a Democrat, why are you applying for a position under a Republican Assembly member?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

District Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State Assembly (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview with elected official and chief of staff. I stated what I was looking for in a salary, and negotiations with the Speaker of the Assembly and rules committee were had. They were able to come back to me with he salary package and benefits package that was suitable. As a salaried employee you work overtime without pay. This line of work has few raises, so you want to start at as high of a level as possible. You also have to move around a bit in order to move up and gain experience. This is more easily achieved in Sacramento.

Interview Questions

• If you disagree with the members position while out in public or while working with the member, how would you handle that situation.   1 Answer

Legislative Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at California State Assembly (Sacramento, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Submitted a resume internally and was invited to a same-day interview. The interview was conducted with Member and his Chief of Staff in his office. They offered me a salary figure and told me to follow up in two days.

Interview Questions

• How would you encourage your boss to vote on a highly controversial bill that could damage his relationship with his constituents but benefited his position in the party?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State Assembly (San Bernardino, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

It was a single interview with questions about the Assemblymember you are working for, what their committees are, what their priority issues are and what kind of legislation they have passed or worked on in the past. Also research the cities they represent and what kinds of issues they have. They will also ask you what issues you are interested and why. They really take a look at your qualifications and past experience. If you know a staff member or the Assemblymember himself, it is definitely a plus. Please have at least a B.A. Chances are very slim if you do not have a degree. If you have worked on their campaign before, that experience will definitely help you out. After the interview, they did take about a month or longer to get back to me with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What are some issues you are passionate about and why?   1 Answer

Field Representative Interview

Interview

Sometimes its who you know...

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to make this job your number one priority in your life for the next four years?   Answer Question

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at California State Assembly (Sacramento, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I made a personal connection with a member, who asked me to meet them at the Capitol. We spoke several times on the phone. They asked around about me, and then hired me.

Interview Questions

• What will members say about you.   2 Answers

Negotiation

It was very easy. As long as I could provide documentation that I made a certain amount, I was able to receive the amount I was asking for.

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at California State Assembly in August 2009.

Interview

Because of budget constraints, the salary that was offered was later rescinded and reduced.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate