Children's Defense Fund Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Children's Defense Fund Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2018

2.8

Summer Intern Interview

Interview

online application, phone interview

Health Policy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Children's Defense Fund (Oakland, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I emailed them in May and submitted my resume. I received and email a couple of weeks later but had to turn it down because I already had an intern for the summer. After I finished my summer internship I sent them another email letting them know I was available for Spring. I went in for the interview in November and was asked basic interview questions. A couple of days later I received an email stating I got the internship.

Director of Social Policy Research and Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Children's Defense Fund (Washington, DC) in August 2008.

Interview

It was a panel interview and they asked the usual questions such as:

Tell us a little about yourself.
    Provide examples of situations where you successfully overcame obstacles at work.
    How many people did you supervise and how would you describe yourself as a supervisor?
    Have you worked under time constraints with multiple projects?
    Why do you want to work here?

I thought the interview process was fair and the questions were appropriate.

Interview Questions

• They did ask me to provide " very specific" examples from my former work that demonstrated my research and supervisory experience and expertise. Therefore, a prospective interviewee needs to be very well prepared before their interview. They need to be fully acquainted with this organization before the interview and to be able to demonstrate how their prior experience would qualify them to work there.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Children's Defense Fund in January 2013.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three stages: there was a phone screening that lasted about 45 minutes. Then there was an in person meeting with key staff leaders that lasted about an hour. (They provided lunch!) The final step in the interview process was meeting the CEO.

Interview Questions

• The interview focused on competencies. All great questions!   Answer Question

Policy Associate, Children's Health Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Children's Defense Fund.

Interview

I was really excited to be contacted by CDF for a Policy Associate position in Oakland, CA. I've long admired their history and their work. Ultimately, I went through three interviews, and I was one of three final candidates being considered. The first phone interview apparently went well, but I did not enjoy it. I found the interviewer to be completely impersonal; they didn't even ask how I was doing or how my day was going. That was my first red flag. I did enjoy my second phone interview. They were pleasant and down-to-earth with a sense of humor. So I was really excited when they wanted to interview me in person. Unfortunately, I was about to graduate from grad school and hadn't been working since I was in school so I really could not afford the $700+ cross-country trip. I asked if they might be willing to share the costs or perhaps consider a Skype interview. They ultimately chose Skype which I was happy about because the interview ended up taking a mere 30 minutes of my time. I still found the first interviewer to be impersonal, and one interviewer looked up maybe twice and only had one question for me. So I didn't really enjoy that interview, either. They ended that interview by saying, "You're likely to hear from us within a week or so." After the week went by with no word, I let it go another 2 weeks because it was in the middle of the holidays and new year celebrations so I wanted to give them the benefit of having some needed time off. So I sent a follow-up email on the first Monday of the new year. After still not hearing anything for two weeks, I sent yet another follow-up email to which they replied the next day that they had offered the position to someone else. I had already assumed that's what happened, but it took them 5 weeks to let me know. After that third red flag, I had already decided that I would probably decline any offer I might have been given. All the red flags were indicative of an organizational culture of which I want no part.

Interview Questions

• Since I am not from California, one interviewer didn't seem convinced that I could make a smooth transition to their state legislature even with my years of policy advocacy and lobbying experience. It wasn't a difficult question to answer, but it was maybe a bit unexpected.   Answer Question

State and Field Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Children's Defense Fund (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a very short turn around time between when I sent in my application and when I received my offer (1-2 weeks). In addition, I was interviewed by the women who became my direct supervisor, not by a hiring manager. I had a phone interview and was offered the job one day later.