DFID Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DFID Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2017

3.6

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

There interview process was not too lengthy or drawn out but some irrelevant questions about my private school background were asked during the interview. Otherwise it was a pleasant experience and I'd encourage anyone who is interested to apply.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most pressing concern you would try and address in a developing country of your choice?   Answer Question

Administration Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Islāmābād (Bangladesh)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DFID (Islāmābād (Bangladesh)).

Interview

First day, written test followed by group discussion.
    Second day presentation followed by competency interview.
    They inform you if you have been selected for the process after the first day.
    Interesting aspect of the interview was the group discussion

Interview Questions

• Most interview questions were about competency based and how my past experience was related to the work I'll bring in the company   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

Group exercise where you were asked what the department's strategy should be for the next 2 years.
    This was followed by competency interview focusing on how you prioritised different work and worked collaboratively

Private Sector Development DESA Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Consisted of a group exercise with three other candidates and two monitors, a panel interview (two people), presentation, and a written exercise. Presentation topic is provided prior to the assessment centre to allow you to prepare.

Senior Content Producer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFID in April 2017.

Interview

I was able to call the hiring manager and discuss the role before putting in an application, who was very approachable. Interview was with a panel of 3 & non-competency based

Interview Questions

• Wha do you see as the key objectives of this role over the next 6 months?   Answer Question
    • Tell us what we are doing well with on our social media output and what we could do better   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a digital idea you have come up with?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DFID (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Before I got to the interview stage there was an online application and two tests. One was a a straightforward numerical reasoning test and the other was a situational judgement test. On successfully completing the online tests I was invited to attend an assessment centre. Here I had a group interview and an individual interview. The group interview required a group of us (6 in total) coming to an agreement over a common set of criteria for a certain project. The individual interview involved technical and competency based questions. The technical questions were in fact quite broad, and seemed to be focused on assessing your broader knowledge of the area you were applying for rather than specific technical expertise.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a work situation where you had and another person disagreed on the best way to approach a problem and you managed to change their mind.   1 Answer

International Education Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DFID (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Tough and multi-layered. It involved an interview, following competency-based format and assessing technical knowledge of the topic, a group test exercise, a 5-minute presentation on a topic provided just 20 minutes in advance and a written assessment on a hypothetical country in conflict, and an online psychometric assessment done in before the interview. The toughest part was participating in the group exercise, which involve trying to solve a maths problem as a group, but without knowledge of the others' information.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the pros and cons of two international donor organisations?   Answer Question

Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFID (Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)) in May 2014.

Interview

DFID interviews are based on the competency framework for each job or position. In my interview i was asked questions relating to my past experience, as well as given scenarios or situations in which i had to outline how i would deal with that case studies, using my skills and experience

The interviews usually last between 30 to 45 mins.

Assistant Programmer Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DFID (New Delhi (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a written test and later an interview. Overall, it was my one of the best interviews and the panel was up to the mark. After written test and interview, HR took ample of time for security check and providing an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Questions may vary from person to person and vacancies.   1 Answer

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at DFID (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Transfered from another government department, with both a formal interview panel and an informal interview. The formal process was challenging and competitive. The informal aspect was also important - it was clear that the hiring senior civil servant had spoken to colleagues in my home department about me. The post I was going for was 'hard to fill', partly because of location, so that helped.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about DALYs as a technique?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No scope to negotiate as already part of UK civil service moving on level transfer. The package was odd - not good on salary (I actually took a pay cut) but excessively generous on relocation (DFID relocates a lot of people overseas so has a comprehensive package).