Doremus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.8

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Very efficient series of interviews with the agency leadership and strategy team. They were very responsive and scheduled interviews quickly. I very much appreciated the follow-up from the HR department on where things stood. Not something that happens often enough. Very well done and professional.

Interview Questions

• How I approach strategy development and what tools I have used in the past.   Answer Question

Experience Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Doremus in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was asked to interview onsite without an initial phone screen or conversation with a hiring manager. Went to on-site interviews and met with a few people during my half day there. All interesting conversations and great people. Was asked by the hiring manager to contact them after to set up a time to discuss/debrief. We sent a few emails back and forth with light replies, but communications afterwards was minimal. After waiting a few weeks, I withdrew from the interview process and accepted another opportunity due to lack of timely follow-up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about your past work and experiences.   Answer Question

Experience Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted for an in-person interview (no phone interview). Met with a few people including the person I'd work for. All in all, was a pleasant experience and nice people. Left with talks of setting up another meet and greet with more staff. Was asked to send along work samples then never heard back, even after a few email follow-ups. Disappointed to have taken time off my current job and prepared work samples without hearing back. Seemed like a great place to work, however I know they have lost some larger clients, so perhaps that changed the job opportunities.

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Doremus (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Since I was located in North Carolina at the time of the interview, I conducted two phone interviews. My interviewers were very flexible since I was so far away. I was interview first by two senior members of the Account team. My second interview was with the Manager of Client Relations.

Interview Questions

• What is a current brand campaign that you admire, and why do you admire it?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Really easy, talk about relevant experiences and why you think you are a good fit for the type of internship you are being considered for. They are very nice. It will be a phone interview then an in-person interview

New Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Was contacted the next day after submitting resume. No phone screening, asked to come in for an in-person interview. As other reviews have stated, the receptionist handles scheduling the interview process. I spoke with 2 individuals who were relatively unprepared and had not previously reviewed my resume. After the 2nd interview, they informed me that the other interviews for the day had unexpectedly been pulled into meetings and they would be in touch. Received a generic email from the receptionist a week later stating they would pursing other candidates.

Understand if there were other candidates that were a better fit. I don't understand why they would do a phone screening or at least resume review prior to setting up in-person interviews. Was a complete waste of time to travel to their office to inform them of things they could have discovered had they actually spent some time reviewing applicants. Overall very unprofessional hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Of modern marketing techniques, what intrigues you the most?   Answer Question

Junior Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted about 3 hours. I interviewed with 6 different people, all on the creative end who I'd be working with. Some of them drilled me more on the advertising copywriting end and how I approached certain tasks. Most just chatted with me and wanted to see my personality. It was a mixture of one on one interviews and groups of 2 people interviewing me. They gave me a freelance offer and later a full time offer with benefits.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I was comfortable working on B2B. It felt like more of a personality interview. They did ask me to write 3 Top 10 lists in the style of David Letterman which I send them about a week later.   Answer Question

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very bad experience! As disorganized as others describe. They said they could not find one of the people I was supposed to meet with, and another had to cancel on the spot due to a client emergency (or so they said). It is likely from how it was handled that they decided about me before I even got to those two, which is humiliating to admit but I will do it here anonymously to inform others about how this agency treats candidates. I was waiting in the lobby in between meetings when the receptionist suddenly informed me that I was free to go. I was shocked. I spent hours researching, preparing and taking time from my day for the interview and my background was enough of a match to get the interview (and similar positions in much better agencies). I never heard back from them in any way and that was OK with me.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied via online. Was contacted back in email, and in-person interview arranged within 2 weeks of online application. Was scheduled to meet with 4 different people, for 30 mins each. On day of the interview, the process seemed unorganized and unprepared for. Two interviewers were changed last minute and were totally unprepared.

From my experience, and other reviews, I'm guessing there's a lack of interviewing and HR training. One interviewer asked "How old are you?" which is illegal to ask in an interview. Never had the opportunity to interview with the main creative manager, who had to change plans at the last minute.

Interviews were informal, some interviewers distant. From questions I asked about the company culture and direction, Doremus seems to be in a state of catch-up, with client priorities dictating direction. Impression I got was a currently shifting priority from print to digital campaigns, with an old-school advertising President at the helm.

I reached out to them for a follow up, and they replied I'd be contacted for another interview for the team members who had to change their plans last minute. I was never re-contacted.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer said something like "I didn't know I'd be an interviewer, I don't have anything prepared. Is there anything you would like to talk about?"   1 Answer

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Doremus (San Francisco, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

My interview experience at Doremus was handled very poorly and lacked professionalism. As mentioned, the SF office clearly has no HR, as the interviews are managed by their receptionist. Unfortunately, my series of interviews was scheduled concurrently with my competition's, forcing me to make awkward small-talk with another candidate between meetings while waiting in Doremus' cramped and dated lobby.

Most of the staff I was supposed to meet with were not available, thus I was pawned off to some unlucky staffers who clearly didn't know how to interview and spent most of the time sharing their generally-negative opinions about other agencies. Tactful questions on my end revealed this company to be very backward in terms of progressiveness and risk-taking - and while B2B is quite a different client, Doremus didn't feel like an ad agency at all.

Despite the poorly-run interview process, I followed up with those I met with thanking them for their time. However, I did not hear back from anyone within the agency. Two months later, I found they filled the position on LinkedIn with someone who had far fewer qualifications and experience than myself, so clearly I was not what they had in mind. Regardless, Doremus exhibited little care to the image they portrayed to potential candidates. Office moral seemed quite miserable as well. My advice: unless you're desperate - stay away!

Interview Questions

• How do you establish relationships with clients?   Answer Question
    • What was one recently-introduced innovation that you wish you had thought of?   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Doremus Strategist Interview San Francisco, CA How I approach strategy development and what tools I have used in the past.
Doremus Experience Strategist Interview Tell me a little bit about your past work and experiences.
Doremus Experience Strategist Interview San Francisco, CA Tell us about yourself
Doremus Experience Strategist Interview San Francisco, CA What do you like about agencies specifically?
Doremus Assistant Account Executive Interview New York, NY What is a current brand campaign that you admire, and why do you admire it?
Doremus Intern Interview Fit questions
Doremus New Business Associate Interview San Francisco, CA Of modern marketing techniques, what intrigues you the most?
Doremus Junior Copywriter Interview San Francisco, CA They asked if I was comfortable working on B2B. It felt like more of a personality interview. They did ask me to write 3 Top 10 lists in the style of David Letterman which I send them about a week later.
Doremus Account Management Interview San Francisco, CA General "tell me about yourself" questions
Doremus Front End Developer Interview San Francisco, CA One interviewer said something like "I didn't know I'd be an interviewer, I don't have anything prepared. Is there anything you would like to talk about?"
Doremus Account Management Interview San Francisco, CA How do you establish relationships with clients?
Doremus Account Management Interview San Francisco, CA What was one recently-introduced innovation that you wish you had thought of?