Emmis Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Emmis Communications Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

2.5

Intern Interview

Interview

A very non-personal group interview. It felt like I was competing with everyone in the room. If you already know someone in the company prior, don't worry you already have the position.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Great, easy, really just a get to know you type of interview. Made time to get to know me as a person and how I would fit in in the Emmis Company culture.

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for their "Digital" branch. Overall, the actual process of interviewing wasn't too bad. Things started with a standard phone interview, before moving into a design assessment which ultimately led to an in-person interview with some of the higher-ups sitting in over a conference call due to the fact that their offices are spread out. The questions were fairly easy and I felt as if I was being judged more on my design skills rather than on the answers I gave.

Things moved along rather quickly and I was eventually offered the position. However, they wanted to start me off with a 90-day contract with no explicit guarantee of being hired full-time afterwards. After giving things a day, I contacted them again for clarification which they gave and told them I would have a decision by the very next day. Directly after that, I sent an email in order to ask a few standard questions regarding the start date and work hours, as well as to possibly negotiate on my pay. My message clearly suggested a strong intent to take the position. Ultimately however, they displayed an incredible lack of professionalism by pulling their offer simply because I was asking routine questions about the job.

I absolutely would NOT recommend interviewing with Emmis as their hiring process is overly-complicated and they seem to have no regard for the people they interview or plan on hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite form of communication? (Less of a tough question and more of something that stood out to me)   1 Answer

Sales Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (New York, NY).

Interview

2-3 separate interviews for entire process: few Sales mangers and of course, the GM. All meetings took place in person on different days.

Great interview process. Casual - friendly ambiance in all meetings. Great interviewers and great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Some typical questions asked, others not so much:

-"What are some of your responsibilities day-to-day in your current role?"
      -"Why are you looking to leave?"
      -Tell me about yourself
      -"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
      -"If you could move anywhere where would it be?"
      -"What are some of your long term goals / dreams?"
      Answer Question

Promotions Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Emmis Communications.

Interview

Easy breezy. I submitted my cover letter and resume and heard back almost instantaneously. I interviewed with the Promotions Director to be onboarded as an intern, so it was a very educational interview process

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a tough situation at a previous job?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Emmis Communications in August 2015.

Interview

Met with Local Sales Manager for about 35 minutes. She hit the highlights of the Company well and asked a few of the normal interview questions and gave me to a Salesperson for a tour & a chance for other questions. Great folks, Good Radio Stations. Glad I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• All very typical. My Past. Greatest Strength, Weakness. Ultimate Goals, etc. Nothing Strenuous. More Conversational than Interviews I've Had in the Past. Got the Feeling that Each LSM was on their own, as Opposed to a Company Wide Protocol. Again, though, a Very Pleasant Experience with a Very Nice Person.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I met with the head of the Intern Program at a career fair held at my university. I spoke with the head of the intern program and the current HR intern who was also at the event helping recruit. After speaking I received both of there emails and was told to email my resume. After I emailed my resume I was sent an Intern Packet (which describes in detail what your responsibilities at each intern position would be) and an application to fill out after you looked over which intern position you're interested in. After sending the email with my application I was contacted and asked to do an interview with the intern supervisor and their intern. After the interview I was contacted a week or 2 later and offered the internship

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, give an example of yourself overcoming a difficult situation, tell us about a time you worked with a group, give us an example of how you overcame an argument/disagreement with a co-worker/group work and etc.   Answer Question

Digital Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward, but communication via e-mail was short and information provided was very vague. When asked to finally come in was told to just show up at 3pm on Friday. No information was given to where to go, who to ask for, where to park (it's downtown Indy) so I found that a little frustrating. Took a half day off and went on a Friday to meet at 3. The person I interviewed with showed up about 15 minutes late...so wasn't very impressed so far. Interview was pretty standard as I've been doing exactly what they required for the past 3 years and had more than enough experience. Thought it went well and was told be in touch next week to maybe show a few examples of some of my work. Followed up with e-mail after interview, and after not hearing anything for a week followed up again. Again...nobody responded with anything. Seems to be the status quo for companies to not follow up and allow job searches to take our valuable time off from work and pay parking, etc to not even get a response that you didn't get a job.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Fairly easy - but a lengthly process. Lots of waiting to hear back, being passed between different interviews. I was interning at the company at the time, so that made waiting more difficult. In the end, it was worth it.

Interview Questions

• If you had an issue with someone on the team, how would you address it?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

For the phone screen, the questions were basic but sounded planned, mostly general questions. For the bench test, it's a nasty piece of work. The manager seems proud of the fact this bench-test has taken up to eight hours for junior developers (even saying repeatedly that it made a developer cry). The irony is the bench test is an utterly ridiculous and complicated gotcha that no decent front-end developer would ever allow to run on the front end, which unfortunately smokescreens the real goal of just showing a basic framework architecture.

Interview Questions

• Using a 9,000-line json file, get some math value for each child-property, then show it in a sortable table.   1 Answer