European Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

European Commission Interview Questions

Interviews at European Commission

2.7

Civil Servant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at European Commission.

Interview

The selection process is bureaucratic. You have to fill in heaps of forms. You are invited to test several times. The questions they ask are stupid and only factual information is asked. Hardly any analytical competence is asked or required. Apparently now there is some sort of assessment centre approach. However, you still have to do heaps of "stupid" test series before arriving at this stage!

Interview Questions

• Is there free mobility of means of transport between European Member States?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Bluebook Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at European Commission.

Interview

I applied on August 2012. I received an acceptance email on December. I sent many emails to Heads of Unit, Officers and Directors. Many of them answered me. Also a director answered me telling me that I forwarded my email to the HR. Then, on February I received an offer and I accepted it. I started on 1st March 2013.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at European Commission in June 2012.

Interview

Assuming you have passed one of the concours or recruitment processes, one needs to get an invitation for a position.

It was for a contractual agent positions in my case.

Highly standardised interviews in order to make the interview comparable. One needs to know how to solve real life problems of the jobs, e.g. a case study.

The interview panel always contains of at least 3 persons, including one representative from the staff or union member.

Interview Questions

• One question I always encounter was the motivation to work for the European Commission.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at European Commission (Brussels (Belgium)) in December 2017.

Interview

A call has been advertised on EUCS websites, applied by e-mail. Shortlisted and interviewed by a panel consisted of 4 agency members (one observer, three officials - Head of unit, Developer and PM)

Interview Questions

• How would connect you education with your current possition?
      Can you describe a typical application layer?
      Do you know we do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation about the offer!

CONTRACT AGENT Interview

Interview

2-stage interview with the Head of Unit and then with the Director.
    The first interview is the most important as the final candidates get pre-selected and then get proposed to the higher management for final decision or approval.

Interview Questions

• Experience on the specific field of work, knowledge of EU policies   Answer Question

CONTRACT AGENT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at European Commission (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in July 2016.

Interview

Inteview was intense - 5 people on the panel, lasting approx. 1,5h. It also included previous health check - because of health insurance tha EC provides. I felt uncomfortable that it took before the actual offer has been made - due to the sensitive personal data.

Interview Questions

• - Why should we hire you?
      - Describe your past achievements.
      - Give us an example how you handled difficult situation at work (e.g. dispute) and how you demonstrated your leadership   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at European Commission (Brussels (Belgium)) in October 2015.

Interview

I uploaded by CV to a database of CVs held by the EC. I was then selected from this online list of CVs, contacted by email with a very general and vague job description. After several weeks I attended a panel interview. This consisted of the head of unit, the head of sector, someone from HR in that DG, the administrator in the unit, and someone from another DG. The panel sat opposite me, separated from me by a line of tables - there was no opportunity to shake hands. The interview lasted about 40 minutes. After this, I was told what the grade I would likely get if I were selected and left the building. Two hours later I was offered the post. Following this I had to get certificates/letters/other documents for every job I wanted taken into account for grading and needed to take medical tests.

Interview Questions

• Fairly typical set of questions - how does your profile match the position, why did you apply? Also some more technical ones - tell us about a project you managed that faced difficulties: how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Policy Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at European Commission in March 2013.

Interview

very lenghty: first there is a written exam (2 hours) that can be taken in all EU capitals, then a full day of interviews in Brussels. From the test to the final offer more than a year passed by.

Interview Questions

• There is a whole literature on how to prepare to the entry (EPSO) test - prepare for the multiple choice exams and also for lots of HR questions ("tell me a situaiton in which you demonstrated leadership... etc etc)   Answer Question

Policy Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at European Commission (Brussels (Belgium)) in September 2017.

Interview

A full medical examination followed by two interviews with two separate panels. One interview covered personal skills and work history, the other focused on specific knowledge required for the job.

Policy Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at European Commission (Brussels (Belgium)) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online in 2012. I was called for a phone interview approximately 1 month after the submission of the application. Then I was called for a second interview in Brussels. There was a 3-people interview panel. The interview was friendly and focused mainly on skills regarding the job.