Exponent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.9

Associate (Construction Consulting) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Exponent (Oakland, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The process was 7 individual interviews for 30 minutes a piece and included a 30 minute presentation by the interviewee about their research. Every interviewer was friendly and helpful but noticeably perceptive. Do not let yourself become too comfortable in the setting because of how informal the interviewers seem.

Interview Questions

• What do you understand you'll be doing in this position?   Answer Question
    • What was your role in previous internship and work opportunities?   Answer Question
    • How much do you know about scheduling in construction and working with P6 (a scheduling program)?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Exponent.

Interview

Applied Online. Received a phone call regarding my resume and my current employment status. Main point of contact was very friendly and organized in regards to setting a time for both of us to touch basis.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Exponent (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After a 30 min phone call I was invited to the Menlo Park office for lunch where I met various team members and was given a tour of the labs.

Interview Questions

• I did not receive any technical questions. I was simply asked to tell them about my background and academic training.   1 Answer

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Exponent (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process started with a phone call from a senior associate and then a second one a few days later with the senior manager that I'd be working under. Both conversations were just an introduction to see if you are interested in consulting work as well as a bit of poking into your background. Afterwards, I was scheduled for an onsite interview which consisted of a 40-45 minute presentation on a previous project of my choice in front of a group of 10-12 engineers/scientists, one-on-one interviews with 7 of them throughout the day, and a casual lunch on campus where they get to know you as a person a bit more.

All the interviewers were extremely friendly from the associates to the principle engineers/scientists. They are pretty open to answering any questions I had from the job to the company culture and they are very honest about their answers. The big thing they all stress is that consulting isn't for everyone as not all engineers and scientists are good communicators. The way the company is structured, your total pay heavily depends on the number of billable hours you accrue for the company. The great thing is the opportunity to earn more as they also pay overtime equivalent to the hourly rate you would charge the company your consulting for. The benefits are top notch for all full time employees (the best I've ever seen during this job search).

However, this also means you are competing for more projects against your peers so your people skills are used not only to communicate with the customer but also to entice other managers to trust you and give you more work. This is encouraged (as it should be) but the environment can be very competitive amongst your peers. Also, they were very honest with me that there would be times where there wasn't a large volume of work coming in and thus opportunity to get more hours goes down sharply. In lamest terms, when there's work there's alot of it, when there's not you're scrambling to get a chance to help the other groups who do have a project so that you can be recognized by their hiring manager. There are many of pros and cons to this.

These are the pros and cons I went through when I considered this position that I hope will help you:

PROS:
    1) Great pay if you add end of the year bonus and overtime.
    2) Excellent employee benefits (401K, stock options, health/dental insurance)
    3) The ability to control your own work schedule (to a point). Work normal hours, get normal pay, work hard and long hours, get rewarded.
    4) Interacting with some of the top companies across many industries (especially in Silicon Valley). This could land you a job at your dream company if you happen to work on a project with them, meet some of their higher ups, and do a good job for them.

CONS:
    1) Not always a team environment. When your not working with your main group, its a competition with other associates to participate in extra projects. So if you like unity this may not be the ideal place for you.
    2) Living in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area. Let's be real, it's VERY expensive to live here even on this salary.
    3) Can have high turnover. People find better opportunities all the time because of all the companies that one can work with while with Exponent. If you value consistency, this might be a concern for you.
    4) Opportunities to move up. Based on my conversations with the interviewers, I sense that while they would love for you to move up and be a principle engineer one day, the availability of positions can be scarce. If your thinking of staying here long term, keep this in mind.

Ultimately, I accepted because the team that I interviewed with is a great group. I think the pros outweigh the cons here if you are willing to work diligently and earn every dollar. In my opinion it is one of the best options for young professionals looking to expand their network and get that dream job one day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think the firm values Ph.Ds and P.E.s so much?   Answer Question
    • Now that you know the outcome of your project how would you change the way you approached it?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Exponent in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the position. The HR person contacted me through email within two days of online application and setup a phone interview with one of their consultants. The phone interview was very weird. The consultant first talked about the company and immediately after that was giving me career advice that how I shouldn't be considering a career in Exponent and look for other opportunities. The remaining time of the phone interview, all I was trying to recover the interview process. The consultant appeared to be determined and have already made the decision.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Exponent (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I was recruited by a university recruiter. They had me in for an informal (although I was asked to wear a suit) lunch with other recruited PhD students. At the lunch we got a tour and talked casually with consultants over sandwiches. After expressing interest in an interview, I was called by a upper management type to vet me. A week later I was told they wanted to formally interview me. The formal interview was a series of 30-minute chats with consultants sandwiching a 45-minute presentation on my PhD work. Two of the consultants gave me small problems to solve regarding work they were currently working on.

Interview Questions

• Here is a defective product I recently worked on. What would be your first steps to diagnose the problem?   1 Answer

Hydrogeologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exponent (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a 30 min phone interview with one of the HRs. They asked me some basic behavior questions. But then they asked me about one of the paper I just published. I did not expect this kind of technical questions from HR and I got really nervous explain some of the technical terms. Overall, It was not a very prepared interview for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Exponent (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

A series of phone/Skype interviews with Principals then invited for a full day interview at the Menlo Park office. Interviewed with 10 principals/associates and was given an hour to present my research. Somewhat challenging interview process..Turned them down since their business model sounded too cut throat for my personality (I respect that they were very honest about their work culture & expectations).

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Exponent (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for the NY admin. position. I first had a phone interview with a HR person from the California office. Then I was interviewed by the senior admin. assistant and 3 other professionals at the New York Office. At the end of the interview I was given a short timed task to evaluate my computer skills. The task was to proof read a letter and correct according to information you researched.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous work experience prepare you for this position?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Exponent (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral.

I was invited to the office to meet a group of employees in an informal setting. This happened in the form of a lunch meeting with 2 principals, 2 senior engineers and 1 managing engineer. There was no agenda for this meeting, just a lunch and discussion on my research work at Stanford. The meeting went extremely well and I learned from my referee that exponent was very interested and there would a more detailed and structured interview session with senior and junior members of the firm. Since the lunch meeting was pleasant enough, I agreed to a job interview.

As a European Non-American citizen PhD student, I asked whether they would apply for an H1-B the following year and the HR representative said that they would "evaluate it". I asked her what that meant, since this was a somewhat important detail that they hadn't mentioned previously and probably would not have mentioned at all if I hadn't asked. She said that the company invests serious resources in it's employees, so they had to make sure that the employee was good enough to merit this. Ok, but the H1B visa is unrelated to company or employee performance, it's required if you want to work in this country. It's not a bonus, raise, negotiation, etc ... it's a prerequisite. So that was puzzling. I told the HR lady that I already had other interviews and I would only consider Exponent if they filed for a work visa. She said that "they would discuss". Very well.

The interview with the current employees was straightforward. The "technical" questions that they asked were so simple, any undergrad at Stanford could have answered it. Questions were based on the following topics, but involved minimal thinking and very just ridiculously simple:

1. Fracture and stress intensity factors in cylindrical thick-walled vessels.

2. Fracture in rods.

3. Trusses and force and displacements at nodes.

4. Buckling of columns.

5. Tensile stresses and strains.

6. Design of fluid valve.

The overriding aspect of the interview was this:

"Can you work long hours, work on weekends, work through holidays, work whenever needed irrespective of personal plans".

I was amused by the fact that every single employee asked a version of this question and warned me that everyone worked extremely long hours at Exponent, almost as a sort of subliminal "RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK".

When it was my turn to ask questions, I asked: "Why should I work here?" and nobody could give me a satisfactory answer. The answers took the form of "we do interesting work", "you will have lot's of variety", "we provide career growth", but nothing substantial. If you interviewed at the local Whole Foods, they would give you the same exact answer.

I asked "What if I can complete the assigned work in 30 hours instead of 40 hours"?
    Answer: We work on a billable hour schedule, so if you complete the work quicker than promised, we lose money. However, you can always complete the work earlier and carry out career development activities but charge the client for 40 hours.

Apart from the ethical implications of this practice and the obvious dishonesty of charging someone for personal work, I was struck that employees HAD to bill more than 80% of their non-overtime work-week to get ahead. This means that you had to bill more than 35 hours a week out of a non-overtime work-week of 40 hours. However, since this is impossible unless you know everything about everything, you end up working 60 hours a week and bill 35, for a net efficiency of just over 50%.

The salary offered for this job was $97,000 base salary with a bonus based on overtime. Umm ... that's not bonus, that's overtime. When I pointed that out, the HR lady said "Well, it's more than your base salary so that's a bonus." Excellent reasoning! Total salary after putting in 50 hour work-week every single week = $121,250.

This is a fairly average number for the bay area, but at what cost? You are working late every night, putting in at least one day every weekend to earn a dishonestly termed "bonus".

Evaluation criteria were remarkably murky for a technology company ... no straight answer on how they evaluated employees. Essentially based on how much you could get the senior employees to like you.

For the wrap-up interview with HR, I made it clear that I would not be able to consider this offer, unless they applied for an H1-B right away and had the possibility to apply for a green-card in the near future.

Overall, I did not think that I was a good fit for this white-collar slavery like, non-performance based, unnecessarily elitist company with a reputation for high turnover and limited growth prospects.

Interview Questions

• 1. Fracture and stress intensity factors in cylindrical thick-walled vessels.

2. Fracture in rods.

3. Trusses and force and displacements at nodes.

4. Buckling of columns.

5. Tensile and shear stresses and strains.

6. Design of fluid valve.

7. Experience with design software and coding/programming skills.   3 Answers

Exponent Response

Sep 27, 2016 – VP Human Resources

At Exponent we take the interview process very seriously, and thus we are concerned that you came away from your interview with incorrect impressions related to the Company’s recruiting and billing... More