Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

2.7

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

The process was porous because of the timing. FERC did a poor job scheduling the interviews and keeping me in the loop. I had an initial phone interview with one guy scheduled, then, I had someone else conduct the interview. After the first phone interview, the interviewer said someone would follow-up in a week. I never heard anything back, so in two weeks I called and the guy was surprised no one reached out to me. Finally, I was scheduled for a second interview, which was essentially three different interviews.

The whole process seemed poorly handled. From last minute change of the interviewer, the interviewer who told me it was his last day at the company and no one following up. This FERC department seemed in disarray.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard and behavioral questions. They did not ask me any technical questions.   Answer Question

LNG Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

The interview was good. It it not have many of those pesky behavioral based questions (I hate those as I feel the majority of people lie about them). Essentially every question you answered on the USAJobs application is hit upon again for further detail - so make sure you don't overly embellish your answers or you will come across as a fool/liar.

I was surprised that the interview had somewhat of a personal touch. I wouldn't say they asked personal questions, but the some of the questions asked - I felt - showed that they actually cared about you. I was was taken aback when they asked "tell me about yourself- both personally and professionally." I've probably interviewed with over 20 O&G private sector companies, never got the 'personally' bit.

Like everything, be prepared. Research the Agency and the position you are applying for and ask genuine questions. Not generic questions that you can copy and paste into any job, but questions that show you have an interest in the job and aren't just looking for a paycheck.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, both personally and professionally   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions about the position?   1 Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

Met with several different people of varying levels of seniority. Most of the questions involved what I did before. Why I was applying, etc... Everyone was very nice. Not an intimidating process

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work there.   1 Answer

Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Job was not posted to USAjobs. Application included both undergraduate and law school transcripts, writing samples, cover letter, and resume. 1 in-person interview with 6 ALJs and office manager. The ALJs who interview rotate each year but generally the ALJs have extremely varying personalities. 1 in particular tries to intimidate but most are very friendly. They hope to hire someone with some rudimentary understanding of energy regulation but do not expect you to know too much as the industry is very complicated. Understanding sections 205 and 206 of the Federal Power Act is a great start.

Interview Questions

• They asked a few questions about my resume in particular including extra curriculars from undergrad (over 7 years prior). Other specific questions included:
      1. How do you feel about excel spreadsheets?
      2. What would you do if you had a memo due to 1 judge but needed to review 100+ pages of testimony at the same time.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations as the job description included pay and this is a no experience necessary position.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied with USAJOBS and got a phone interview a month later. The interviewer was very nice, but asked questions that kept me on my toes. She then sent me a document to look over. A skype interview was set up a couple weeks later where we discussed the document as well as my personal qualifications,. After requesting a writing sample from me, they called me up the next day to ask when I would be available to start. The was no onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult or technical.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable, but you can talk your way into a signing/relocation bonus.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

The opportunity was for a summer internship at the Washington, DC office. The hiring process consisted of being encouraged to apply to the opportunity through submitting my resume to the hiring manager. I submitted my resume and was e-mailed concerning the status of my application. Shortly thereafter, I participated in a phone interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are qualified for this opportunity?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with office director and deputy director. No unexpected questions, asked about background, etc., and why I was interested in position. Asked about graduate school experiences and internships, as well as expectations for position. Follow-up interview later on, and submitted writing sample and resume, and transcript. Hired and submitted to typical one year of probation, then official. Easy breezy.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, I had a phone interview to gage my interest and then was invited to DC for an in-person interview. I was mainly interviewed by the department head, who asked general behavioral questions, such as how I would deal with a heavy workload or a challenge and examples of when I had done so before. They emphasized that the position involved learning lots of regulatory rules and formats very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Answering repeated questions about how you deal with challenging situations and if you felt you could handle the job.   Answer Question

Salary, job very specific (not able to explore broader interests)

Trial Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

There were two rounds. An initial round where I met with a few attorneys individually and then a panel consisting of all the branch chiefs. Then a second round with the Legal Director and Director of the division. They acted very quickly after each round and checked my references. Picking a start date was a little annoying b/c they made me start on the first day of a pay period, so in a month, there are only two potential start dates.

Interview Questions

• Director asked me a hypo about if I was at a deposition off-site and something went wrong. Was one of those "there's no right answer" questions, but its good to keep your wits about you and answer intelligently.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate. I think its harder to negotiate with the government---just didnt seem like there was flexibility.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in May 2011.

Interview

For internship positions, it is easiest to have an internal employee referral. Also, the office within FERC which you are interested in must have a position available. Since I had an employee referral, my interview was pretty easy. It was a phone interview- they asked me what I knew about power (the more the better of course) and why I wanted to work at FERC. Also, saying that a full-time position at FERC is something you are very interested in helps a lot.

Interview Questions

• What do you know, or what experience do you have with 3-phase power?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at FERC?   1 Answer