Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

2.9

Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Job was not posted to USAjobs. Application included both undergraduate and law school transcripts, writing samples, cover letter, and resume. 1 in-person interview with 6 ALJs and office manager. The ALJs who interview rotate each year but generally the ALJs have extremely varying personalities. 1 in particular tries to intimidate but most are very friendly. They hope to hire someone with some rudimentary understanding of energy regulation but do not expect you to know too much as the industry is very complicated. Understanding sections 205 and 206 of the Federal Power Act is a great start.

Interview Questions

• They asked a few questions about my resume in particular including extra curriculars from undergrad (over 7 years prior). Other specific questions included:
      1. How do you feel about excel spreadsheets?
      2. What would you do if you had a memo due to 1 judge but needed to review 100+ pages of testimony at the same time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations as the job description included pay and this is a no experience necessary position.

Trial Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

There were two rounds. An initial round where I met with a few attorneys individually and then a panel consisting of all the branch chiefs. Then a second round with the Legal Director and Director of the division. They acted very quickly after each round and checked my references. Picking a start date was a little annoying b/c they made me start on the first day of a pay period, so in a month, there are only two potential start dates.

Interview Questions

• Director asked me a hypo about if I was at a deposition off-site and something went wrong. Was one of those "there's no right answer" questions, but its good to keep your wits about you and answer intelligently.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate. I think its harder to negotiate with the government---just didnt seem like there was flexibility.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

3 interviews back to back. One with staff attorney, one director, and last, deputy general counsel.

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in May 2019.

Interview

Group panel interview with one person conducting the whole interview.
    This position was definitely set up for someone already working within. The questions were unrelated to my job title and were mostly about within the company. What happen to hiring various skillset? It was off putting in such a way that reflects as diminutive and unworthiness from an outsider. advice Hang up the phone and look elsewhere! This is not how an interview should ever be conducted. Stay positive you deserve better.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself from a scale of 1-10

Describe the XZY guidelines for (division name*)   Answer Question

Energy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in March 2008.

Interview

Applied using USA Jobs. I was contacted by deputy director of the Office of Energy Market Regulation East shortly after that by phone. Had two phone interviews. Then, I was flown to Washington, DC for an in-person interview with my future manager, deputy and office director. I was offered a position with a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation dealing with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Negotiation

The federal government has a limited ability to negotiate in the hiring process. However, I was given credit for several years of previous work experience in the leave system - this was a valuable benefit in my early years here.

Energy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

Started with an informational interview. That was followed up by a phone interview with two people. Finally, I was invited in for a block of in-person interviews. Questions were standard with nothing meant to catch you off guard. They will want to know what technical skills you bring to the table and about previous analytical experience.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with various data analysis tools (R/Stata/SPS/SQL...)?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied with USAJOBS and got a phone interview a month later. The interviewer was very nice, but asked questions that kept me on my toes. She then sent me a document to look over. A skype interview was set up a couple weeks later where we discussed the document as well as my personal qualifications,. After requesting a writing sample from me, they called me up the next day to ask when I would be available to start. The was no onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult or technical.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable, but you can talk your way into a signing/relocation bonus.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview

The process was porous because of the timing. FERC did a poor job scheduling the interviews and keeping me in the loop. I had an initial phone interview with one guy scheduled, then, I had someone else conduct the interview. After the first phone interview, the interviewer said someone would follow-up in a week. I never heard anything back, so in two weeks I called and the guy was surprised no one reached out to me. Finally, I was scheduled for a second interview, which was essentially three different interviews.

The whole process seemed poorly handled. From last minute change of the interviewer, the interviewer who told me it was his last day at the company and no one following up. This FERC department seemed in disarray.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard and behavioral questions. They did not ask me any technical questions.   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, I had a phone interview to gage my interest and then was invited to DC for an in-person interview. I was mainly interviewed by the department head, who asked general behavioral questions, such as how I would deal with a heavy workload or a challenge and examples of when I had done so before. They emphasized that the position involved learning lots of regulatory rules and formats very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Answering repeated questions about how you deal with challenging situations and if you felt you could handle the job.   Answer Question

Salary, job very specific (not able to explore broader interests)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with office director and deputy director. No unexpected questions, asked about background, etc., and why I was interested in position. Asked about graduate school experiences and internships, as well as expectations for position. Follow-up interview later on, and submitted writing sample and resume, and transcript. Hired and submitted to typical one year of probation, then official. Easy breezy.