Freedom House Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Freedom House Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2017

Program Strategy, Design, and Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Freedom House (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

One phone interview + one Skype interview. Very straightforward process with both interviews being conducted within a week of each other. Position offered to me the week after the last interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Freedom House.

Interview

Initial phone interview, followed by a writing test and the final round consisted of an in-person interview. The writing test was a bit intense, but the in-person interview showed the team was very friendly and dynamic.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in Freedom House, the position and program region   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Freedom House.

Interview

Not too grueling, they asked me a bunch of questions but nothing too analytical. I have a lot of experience so it wasn't a tough interview. They are a very smart team and have a lot of good experts who know their field well and are passionate about the areas of the world they study

Accounts Payable Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Freedom House (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initially had a phone interview with AP manager which went well. They they called me in to meet the CFO, who was very friendly and nice and the interview went quite well. They the HR asked me for a bunch of stuff. Apparently they are too cheap to run a proper background check so they asked me for a copy of my bachelor's degree. Then they wanted copies of my old W2s or pay-stubs from previous employment. Who the hell does that? The excuse was that "they are having difficulty confirming employment" - Basically they wanted to see how much I had made before. I needed a job so I complied. Then they asked for references. Now instead of just calling, they sent my references like 4 pages of questions to fill out and complete. For real? Then after all of this, there was silence. So I emailed them 2 weeks later and they didn't even bother to reply, nothing. NADA! Like at least have the courtesy to tell me that you hired someone else you scumbags. No wonder their ratings are so low. Bunch of dummies.

Interview Questions

• Bunch of AP related questions. If you have done AP before then this should be an easy one for you.   Answer Question

Senior Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Freedom House (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with one of the program managers and she told me it's a first round. They have selected 10 people and if I make it to the next stage, I will be competing with other 2 people.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very technical and specific. Nothing related to human rights, democracy or freedom enhancement. I was asked to give an example of the time in my career when I used a logical framework or describe a time when I had to design a project from the beginning.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Freedom House (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The recruitment process was extremely unprofessional and, after three interviews, I realised that this was not an organization I would be proud to represent. Not one of my interviews began on time, and the panelists largely lacked social skills. (I did really like the Director of the project -- she was really very good at interviewing, but the 3 other panelists were not.) I was also very surprised by how insular and how little awareness the employees had of similar projects in the global south. Freedom House takes a very American approach to what they do, and that's very much to their detriment.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Freedom House.

Interview

Skype interview with multiple members of the Freedom House staff. Not too hard, just some questions about my experience, what I knew about the organization, and how my experience fits the job. One question asking about how I would complete a research task. The interview team seemed very nice and I enjoyed speaking with them. However...

The one thing that put me off and makes me look on this organization with much less esteem than I did previously is that they made a point of telling me--as in I didn't ask, they told me--that they would get back to me within the next week. The next week I waited earnestly for a yes or no, and no response came, none at all, not even a copy and paste form email. Given the time slots they offered me, I know they interviewed a small amount of people. It takes at most 5 minutes to copy and paste a form email to notify applicants who you don't want to go further with, who are people who have invested a large amount of time in writing an application and preparing for an interview, but they chose not to give any response at all. In my view, this shows a great amount of disrespect to applicants who are enthusiastic about the work this organization does. I don't think I'll apply here in the future.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about FH? How does your experience fit the job? If I were to give you x assignment with a short amount of time to complete it, how would you go about doing it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Freedom House (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview went ok, but they were so set on exact skills they were looking for, that it made it feel more like a mid-career position, rather than an unpaid internship.

Clinical Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Freedom House.

Interview

Poor interview etiquette. Kept waiting. No follow up. More interested in telling about own accomplishments than in explaining about the position. Manners were non-existent. The interviewer took a lengthy phone call while in the middle of the interview process that was clearly not urgent.

Interview Questions

• You can work only weekends, correct?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Freedom House (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an interview through a referral and the process was pretty simple. Interviewed with the supervisor through a Skype call. After the interview, I had to finish some paperwork and work with the HR to make it official and I recall that took some time because of some technical issues (for some reason my documents attached to my email wasn't going through the system).

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected questions. Mostly regarding my background, interests, the reasons for having those interests, and a couple behavioral questions.   Answer Question