Georgia Ports Authority Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Georgia Ports Authority

Equipment Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority (Savannah, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied on a Friday and was contacted by the following Monday for an interview on Tuesday. Interview with HR department Supervisor went very well. Was contacted The next day for a second interview on Thursday. I interviewed with HR Department Supervisor and one of the Operations Managers. Interview went extremely well, however HR Department Manager says I seem to be overqualified for the position and asked where did I see myself within the Ports in 5 years. Well, I believe he was surprised by my answer and quickly realized that I knew way more about container operations than he assumed. However, I was never offered a posistion. I am friends with GPA Yard Foreman, who talked to the HR Supervisor for me to see why I didn't get hired. Come to find Mr. Wisham felt that my logistic experience was way above an Equipment Operator duties and believed I wouldn't stay as an Opertor before I tried to get an office position. Also, he says because I was currently seeking higher education(which was also in logistics) that he believe I wouldn't be dedicated to the job. WTF! Lol

Interview Questions

• Situational based question, safety questions, personal goal, career goals, and if hired where did I see myself in 5-10 years with Ga Ports. Also asked why should Ga Ports hire me.   Answer Question

Operations Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority (Savannah, GA).

Interview

I applied online. Was sent a link via email to schedule my interview. The link provided you with a calendar and time of when to schedule your interview. It also shows how many other candidates were interviewing as well. Interview schedule ran from Monday - Thursday. I chose to interview on the last day. I arrived to the interview and checked in with the security person, who asked for my name and ID. Once I she logged me in and informed my interviewer that I had arrived, she gave me the job description of the position. I was taken back by one of the interviewers. I was interviewed by an HR staff member and the Supervisor of the position. The Supervisor was very friendly and welcoming in the interview, however the HR staff member appeared to be somewhat disinterested and maintained a poker face, and seemed quite indifferent throughout the entire interview, which made it quite difficult to complete the interview. The Supervisor of the position was very honest about the position, stated and you will be sitting at a computer during your entire shift, moving containers throughout the ship yard, also stated that you will be working a 12-hour shift (7pm - 7am), which was not listed in the job description. Immediately when I was told the work hours, I knew that it would not be a good fit for me, since I have a family. I wish GA Ports would include the schedule and hours of their positions; this would save time and weed out those candidates that have conflicts with the schedule and hours of the position. Most employers now include this now within their job opportunities. I would have never applied if I would have known this in advance.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call from an HR rep requesting an in-person interview, accepted, interview lasted approx. 30 min. Overall a pretty easy and streamlined process. Know a little bit about the company beforehand.

Interview Questions

• If you could describe yourself as a company, what would it be?   1 Answer

Police Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority.

Interview

I applied online and received a call back in a few days. I interviewed a week after that with the. I then had to wait about 2 weeks for a call back to inform me of a job offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I knew about community oriented policing. I was also asked some very tough theoretical questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garden City, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority (Garden City, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied with the career services at my school. I received a call about two or three weeks later wanting me to come to the ports for an interview. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes and was mostly just going over your resume. I was offered a position contingent upon passing a physical about 2 weeks later via phone call.

You do not get to chose the department you are interning in, so during the interview try to emphasize the department you want.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really anything unexpected. They mostly wanted to know why you would be a good fit for the Ports. Have a few questions ready for the interviewer though.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Driver/Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Georgia Ports Authority (Savannah, GA) in March 2011.

Interview

The process was fairly straight-forward. I had a somewhat long but pleasant conversation with an HR rep at a career fair at my college. Near its conclusion I was asked to apply online. After submitting my app online, I followed up with an email, and two days later, with a phone call. That phone call yielded an interview for the following week. The interview was not unpleasant, but I was a little nervous, due to the fact that I was not a very experienced interviewee. I was interviewed by the HR rep and one of the operations managers. Both were friendly and the HR rep was kind enough to sort of help me through the interview. Feeling confident after the interview, I was sure to follow up with another email to thank them both for their time and consideration. By that Friday, I was contacted by the HR rep with a job offer. After working there for a year and talking to other employees, it seems that my experience was somewhat atypical. I mean that in the sense of how quickly the whole process went. Some of the other hires waited weeks and weeks for an initial interview, only to have to wait again to return for a second, and wait weeks again for the subsequent job offer. I seem to have been very fortunate.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle conflicts with another employee?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was nothing to negotiate. Starting wages and bennies are pre-determined, and cannot be adjusted through negotiations. Saying that you need more money is like saying that you'd prefer to work for someone else. Also, wages are highly competitive, considering the level of skill required for the position. If you are offered a job, keep in mind that there are literally hundreds of other candidates hoping for the very same that you are contemplating. GPA knows that if you won't snatch it right up, one of them will. I accepted immediately without deliberation.