German Marshall Fund Interview Questions | Glassdoor

German Marshall Fund Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2017

Government Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I received an email from HR asking if I was still interesting and asking for a time to call. I never heard back and sent another email to reschedule the time. After it was not answered I sent to reschedule again. I finally received an email from the HR associate that he was busy and he set up a time to call me the following day. He didn't call and when I reached out, he said he forgot and asked to hold the phone time right then. He scheduled an interview for the following week with the head of the department. She only asked one question: What do you think of Brexit? I was told that I should know the bulk of the information from the announcement and website. She didn't ask any question, but I was to ask them to her. I spent 30 minutes trying to find out more.

Interview Questions

• The only question I was asked was what I thought of Brexit.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund in June 2016.

Interview

They are very slow and not entirely on the ball. I received an email on a Saturday for a Monday phone interview. On Monday I was notified it was an in person interview, so I had to scrap all my plans and race downtown.

Interview itself was more just tell me what you know and see if you have the necessary people skills. Afterwards, I was told to expect a follow-up, which took 2 months.

All together: unprofessional, slow, and inconsiderate.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was over Skype. It last for about 45 minutes. It started off with the GMF interviewer telling me about what they do, and then asking me various questions to see if my background met her description.

Interview Questions

• My experiences within the policy community.   1 Answer
    • My background with event management.   1 Answer

Outreach Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an email about two weeks later scheduling a phone interview. The interview was pretty basic with questions about the position and why I wished to work at GMF. The interviewer was very friendly, but unfortunately did not answer any of my follow-up emails. I eventually got an email a few weeks later saying I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wish to work for the German Marshall Fund?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I did an over-the-phone interview than an in-person interview for the position. The process felt very casual and felt more like a walk-through of my resume than anything else. I was asked mostly about my experience with planning and logistics support as well as previous research endeavors. It seems that the in-person portion was more of a once-over check than an actual interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

First a phone interview to conduct standard screening. Second an in-person interview with more of the same questions. The questions were standard and the interviewers were very nice; nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you helped to plan an event. Describe a time you worked in a team.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview

I applied via their online application and was contacted within two weeks of submitting it. I was first interviewed by two people at GMF over the phone. After we finished, they asked me to email a writing sample. Two weeks later, I had a second phone interview, where they asked similar questions. Later that day, I received an email saying I was accepted.

Interview Questions

• No truly difficult questions. Questions included -- how would you go about research, why GMF, how do you manage your time, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

About two weeks after the application deadline had passed, I was contacted directly by the program I had applied for by email to set-up a phone interview for the next week. The interview lasted about 30 minutes, and I was given a great overview of the internship program and how I would be evaluated throughout the internship term. By the end of the week I was contacted again via email to set-up an in person interview for the next week. Dress attire was business casual. I was asked to fill out paperwork for HR upon arrival, much of it on contact information for my previous employers. I met with my direct supervisor and their supervisor, and questions were situation/behavioral in nature. I was told I would receive notice of their decision by Friday. At 4:50pm on Friday I received an email congratulating me, and linking me with HR to begin the intake process.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about researching the current diplomatic relations between Russia and Georgia?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As the position was an internship, there were no salary negotiations.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund.

Interview

It was a pretty standard interview. The supervisor asked about my background and interests at school, in particular my coursework and degree focus. They usually do in person interviews for the interns but since I was not in DC, I did mine over the phone and was offered the position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• My supervisor asked me to describe why I thought the program's work was important or especially interesting.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at German Marshall Fund (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process demanded a lot of time, as after two rounds of interviewing and being told I was in the top two candidates, I was asked to write a research paper. After touching base a few weeks after submission(after no response), I was told that they found someone who better matched the listed job qualifications. I wish they could have somehow been able to tell that I didn't fit the qualifications before having me spend such a large amount of time on the project. I will not be applying again.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of when you managed multiple responsibilities at once.   Answer Question