Holland & Knight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 29, 2017

2.2

Paralegal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

First HR calls with a few basic questions about history. Then in person interview with both human resources and one of the department practice managers. Mainly they talk about position. BEWARE: Human resources has a way of making you feel UNWANTED. Ive tried to follow up many times in the Boston office and they have NEVER responded to emails for the past month and they answered my call once and said decisions would be made because one of the HR reps was on vacation. When she returned, she continued to ignore me. Im not surprised. This is what large companies want! You try to better yourself and all they do is ignore you and make you feel worthless no matter how hard you worked in college.

Business Intelligence Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Brandon, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and within one or two days a phone interview was scheduled. I was asked 3 relatively easy questions, and then an in-person interview was scheduled.

While this wasn't a horrible interview process, it certainly was stressful and intimidating. They seemed very condescending and impersonal. I understand the importance of being serious and professional, but they should seriously consider lighting up enough to act like normal human beings, not robots.

I met with a panel of about six people, including the supervisor. The atmosphere was very serious, with almost no smiles cracked. One of the questions asked of me was something like, "If you were guaranteed success, what would your job be?". When I told them my answer, their response was that their employees' skills "blew [insert job title here]s' skills out of the water". I don't know if that was supposed to impress me or insult me, but I took it as the latter.

After the interview, the group asked me to lunch. I finally got to see a personal side of the group, and they actually seemed quite nice. It was a drastic change from the tense setting of the interview. At the end of it all, I asked the supervisor what the approximate timeline would be for their decision. I was told it wouldn't be long, and that I would hear back either way.

TWO MONTHS LATER. I had another phone interview with a brand new employee, which I thought odd. From what I gathered, they got the job that I had applied for. I did some research on Glassdoor, and realized that one of the other Business Intelligence Specialists had either quit or had been let go, hence why they probably interviewed me again.

I ended up getting the job offer, but turned it down due to the pitiful pay. According to MULTIPLE sources, the average salary for this title falls within the 50K-70K range, give or take. Of course this was an entry-level job, but the pay they wanted to offer me was insultingly low. I would have made more waiting tables, and much more in the job that I told them during the in-person interview. If the supervisor boasted how their employees "blew [insert job title] out of the water" skill-wise, shouldn't they be compensated more? I asked the HR representative if they could negotiate the salary, and I was told that while I could try, it wouldn't be likely as this was a "typical entry-level salary". I rejected their offer. Since then, I have gotten my dream job with a significantly higher pay rate than what Holland & Knight offered me. If you want to hire talented, educated individuals, then at least compensate them appropriately.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your news from?   1 Answer

I worked hard for my master's degree, and their salary was pitiful.

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Portland, OR).

Interview

Positive, too positive and encouraging to not receive any notice whatsoever to follow. It's a nice, professional courtesy to advise candidates of when they are no longer being considered or the position filled, especially when followup is thoroughly encouraged.

Disingenuous.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to make a move?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Tampa, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Great interview.. very comfortable. They offered plenty to drink and the office looks modern. The place is easy to find and everyone there looks pretty young. They give you an access badge to walk around.

Interview Questions

• How I was qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on site with four attorneys ( three partners and one associate) and the the hiring manager. They were nice and friendly. Each interviewer had different personalities and the interviews were more conversational.

Interview Questions

• Why Law School? Some behavioral questions? Questions about my job experience/   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Holland & Knight.

Interview

PEOPLE ARE NICE. I met 4 people in total. Everyone talked to me. They asked me about my working experience, my skills.They asked me about my experiences and whether I am capable of doing the tasks they want me to.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experiences and whether I am capable of doing the tasks they want me to. PEOPLE ARE NICE. I met 4 people in total. Everyone talked to me. They asked me about my working experience, my skills   Answer Question

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Tampa, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with individuals leading the team. One was a new employee and the other was the supervisor. They asked questions about my resume, my experience, why I applied. It was fairly uncomfortable. The supervisor postured really weirdly and was very combative from the onset of the interview. Pretty immediately I knew I didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about ensuring more revenue for the firm?   Answer Question

Legislative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

For a month I talked with a person in HR about setting up an interview. She would go weeks before making a response. When I had my in-person interview, I was told to arrive at least 20 minutes early to get through security, which was only a sign-in desk. I sat in the lobby for 20 minutes before being put in a conference room for an additional 15 minutes to wait. The person who interviewed me was great, but was not part of the team who the position was being offered. He told me he referred me and I should be expecting another invitation for the team. Weeks later I heard back from the woman in HR that the team did indeed like me and wanted me to come, but she wanted to go in a different direction. Overall, I thought the office and staff was great, but there are some bad problems with the HR department.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions on background, experience, and expectations of the job.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Interview was very conversational. No hardball questions. Firm culture seems very relaxed and friendly. Enjoyed my interview process overall. Partners seem approachable. Not the stuffy environment common at big law firms.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Holland & Knight (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Met with 6 attorneys in groups of 2. Most of the Associates and Partners with whom I met seemed dissatisfied or downright angry, and I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with me. It was clear none of them liked their jobs. All but 1 of the 6 with whom I met were unbelievably unfriendly. One of the Partners held up my writing sample between his thumb and forefinger as if it was a stinky diaper and asked "What is this?" I still don't know what he was attempting to communicate with the question, other than his general unpleasantness. Had they made an offer, I would've declined.

Interview Questions

• "What is this?" (holding up my writing sample with disdain)   1 Answer