Home Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Sort:

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

After passing through a timed written test I was offered a video interview. It was a very strange experience as the questions were pre-recorded and then you recorded yourself answering them. You answers are timed (either 2 or 4 minutes) and you only get one chance to answer each question. I had some problems with the platform - the audio wasn't working. In the end I switched browsers and updated my adobe flash playing and it worked.

It was an extremely weird and impersonal format!

Interview Questions

• The questions are the competencies as asked in the original application. They first ask you to describe the situation, then ask about the task and action together, and finally the result.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Panel interview with senior members of the team recruiting.

Exactly same competency questions as application form were asked. Need to ensure you know your answers confidently if you get such an interview.

Interviewers were friendly and asked further questions if answer lacked detail required for their marking.

I found it a shame that no further questions on suitability for the role or why you want it were asked. Previous experience and qualifications were also of no interest to the interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Very easy interview process. Bear in mind that they are not interested about your past achievements or anything so just focus on the competency questions. Initially , i was given 4 out of 7 in sift stage but after interview they scored 2 out of 7. I could not concentrate well and derailed my answer. Remember to stay on course and stick to competency indicators in order to get through.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Liverpool, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Formal interview formed on competency based questions.

Arrived at a local hotel and was interviewed by 2 female members of management. The entire process took around 1 hr and 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give examples of:

-Efficient time management
      -Managing a quality service
      -Excellent customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview was conducted by two Home Office staff. It was a good experience overall. I had to answer questions based on competencies and was asked some probing questions. They made me feel like they were satisfied with my answers as I tried my best to demonstrate all required behaviours from the civil service framework. Unfortunately after a month of waiting I found out that I was unsuccessful. I didn’t expect to have my answers rated so low and the feedback I got doesn’t tell me why. I don’t think their decision not to offer me this job was based on my answers to the questions. The whole process took over 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to competencies I was assessed during the interview   Answer Question

Caseworker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (Liverpool, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

After initially applying for this position 8 months earlier and being told that my application had been unsuccessful, I received an email out of the blue informing me that my application had been reconsidered and I was invited to attend an interview (quoted from their email).

The interview turned out to be an assessment day consisting of a Case Study and then, if successful, a panel interview. After eventually finding the location of the assessment centre (the address given in the email was wrong) I had to prove my identity (passport) and then sit with another 30-40 applicants. At a given time, we were then herded to another waiting table until we were once again herded into a very small room, which was extremely warm and humid, in preparation for the Case Study exercise which was supposed to be testing our abilities at Making Effective Decisions & Managing a Quality Service.

Before starting the case study, we were given a strict 5 minutes to read through the criteria for what the case study was to be about and following that, we were given another, very strict, 30 minutes to complete the case study. After completion of the case study, we were then once again herded back to the waiting tables, being able to grab a hot or cold drink which was on offer. Not long after we sat down, a lady came into the room and shouted out various names, asking them to come to the front. These people were then taken back to the “sweat box” just to be told that they had failed and given directions as to how to leave the premises. (no individual feedback at all)

From entering the convention centre to being told that you had failed took less than 50 minutes and the whole experience was completely impersonal bordering on inhuman. During this whole 7 month window there was no human interaction at all.

As for the Case Study itself, this consisted of 14 visa applications which you have to marry up against an approval matrix, deciding on whether or not a visa should be approved. If an application was rejected, it had to be rejected at the earliest possible opportunity during the approval process and a written reason as to how you arrived at each decision.. The approval process was ranked in the following order :

1) Application Form Submitted
    2) Proof of residency in a Green country
    3) Proof of 5 years consistent residency in the UK
    4) Proof of 5 years activity in the UK

Sounds pretty easy however, proof of UK residency and activity each have a their own approval matrix, financial records, employer Letter, Medical Insurance etc, and each had dates that either overlap or are not with the scope of the approval matrix. Of course, this is what you would expect to be doing in a job handling Visa applications however, as there was no indication AT ALL as to what to expect and only 5 minutes to digest the approval matrix then it was understandable that some felt like rabbits in the headlights when the initial 5 minutes were over and the test commenced.

On reflection, I can honestly say that there is no way anyone can/could prepare for the Case Study. Only previous experience, a 'heads up' (or inside knowledge) could anyone be prepared in any capacity.

Interview Questions

• 5 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes to complete   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Friendly discussion on experience and core competencies covering employment in the Civil Service. 2-person interview panel comprising Hiring Manager and another senior manager from the area in which you will be working. Went into reasonable depth on CV and asked questions directly relevant to experience. Lasted approx one hour, conducted in a professional manner.

Interview Questions

• Use of different project management methodologies and examples where you employed them   Answer Question

Senior Research Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interviewers asked questions based on the civil service competencies, which I expected, but they said I could refer to my answers to the competency questions on my application form if I wanted or choose new examples. However, the application form I completed had requested a personal statement, there had been no competency questions. So that threw me a bit. It was clear that the interviewers had not seen my actual application form. Also I had received an email beforehand requesting I prepare a presentation. So I had prepared a presentation, but when I got there I was asked to complete a different task, so the presentation I had spent time on was not actually needed. The interview therefore seemed very disjointed to me, and to 've honest I was annoyed I had bothered to prepare the presentation at all, as in my prep beforehand that was what I really focused on, but actually it would have been better to just focus on the competencies!

Interview Questions

• The competency questions, given that they referred me back to my application form which had no competency questions on it!   Answer Question

Senior Research Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

The process consisted of:
    - online application based on several competencies (e.g. collaborating and partnering, delivering at pace, etc.)
    - online test - a lot of questions on advanced statistics such as chi square test
    - face-to-face assessment (case study)
    - face-to-face interview
    The whole process was protracted and lasted several months (around 6 months).
    The face-to-face assessment and interview were done on the same day. The assessment was quite difficult - I was given around 10-15 pages with different evidence to review and prepare a presentation answering 5 questions in 50 mins. I found the material quite difficult and the time insufficient. The topic was about measures for young offenders but although it was supposed to be a study independent of prior knowledge, I found that some prior knowledge was necessary and I was not familiar with the topic. Overall, the case study was not designed very well. The panel consisted of 3 persons from different governmental departments. They were not very encouraging and just stared blankly when I answered questions. I found also some of the questions challenges around political considerations, etc. Also there was no introductory question, so that I could introduce briefly myself but rather straight to the questions. Overall, the experience of the process and the interview panel was not very positive.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example when you have collaborated effectively.   Answer Question

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

A skills based phonecall with questions on the technology role you've applied for (JS, Java, scala etc), followed up with an code exercise to do at home, and then an interview. You'll also get asked on examples of certain competencies (mentioned in the job spec). Check out the Civil Service competency framework for examples so you have some ready.