International Crisis Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

International Crisis Group Interview Questions

2.7

Intern - Monthly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at International Crisis Group.

Interview

It was an easy interview. I submitted my cover letter and resume online through the ICG website, heard back a week or two later. I interviewed for the position and heard back the same day with an offer. The interview only last 20-30 minutes, with the basic questions one would expect for an interview. Be knowledgeable about what ICG does and who some of the important people are, and why ICG is interesting to you personally.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, heard back from Crisis Group 2-3 weeks later. Interviewed over Skype. The Interview style was friendly and fairly informal, and began with a bit of background about the organization and the position. The questions that followed mostly pertained to my professional background and research experience. They also asked some questions about my ability to work with a team and manage multiple tasks, as well as my career objectives beyond the internship. I received an offer from them one week later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience doing research in conflict areas. (Not a requirement for this position - this was based on the fact that I do have some experience... almost all the questions were specific to my own background).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (Cleveland, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview was done over the phone. Very straightforward, 1-on-1 interview that focused on regional issues. The interview was followed up by a brief translation exercise. The exercise was based on a newspaper in the target language.

Interview Questions

• What is the most pressing issue in (Office Region) today?   Answer Question

Special Assistant Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

They scheduled a phone interview with me, which lasted about half an hour. They asked me to describe my interest in international relations and how closely I followed the UN. Then they explained the position to me.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

phone interview that lasted for 1 hour. Very specific questions on field experience and knowledge about conflict issues. Quiz about peer organizations. Little introduction about the organization itself. More about substantive issues.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group.

Interview

The interview lasted around half an hour and felt very structured – all the questions were undoubtedly prepared in advance, and all the applicants were asked the same set. There was no attempt to get to know you better by asking follow-up questions based on your answers, and you were generally expected to provide a theoretical and impersonal answer. For example, rather than describing your previous research experience, you were told to outline the necessary steps that must be taken to produce a good research. I might have been spoiled by my previous experience with other international organisations, where the interview was conducted like a dialogue, but I did not enjoy the process much. I did not receive any feedback either – only a two-sentence e-mail saying that I was unsuccessful.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would resolve a conflict with another employee.   Answer Question

Research Assistant () Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (Nairobi (Kenya)) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was via Skype and took about 30 mins. The project director asked me questions about my studies, previous work experience related to conflict research and analysis, and the specific region I would be working on (in Africa).

Interview Questions

• Can you please elaborate on your previous experience at .... (a research position)   Answer Question

Regional Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in January 2012.

Interview

Job interviews tend to be perfunctory and are often done just to pretend there is an open process when in fact most hires are friends of the senior management staff -- hence the fact that the organisation is very top heavy with former UN people. Usually interviewed by the underwhelming HR director followed by a panel interview. Only rarely does the CEO involve herself in hiring.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Mostly have to come up with ideas for subjects for Crisis Group to research and explain how you would go about it. Very little interest in management style, experience or ability.   Answer Question

Poor salary and benefits and the organisation is in decline.

Internship - Europe Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at International Crisis Group (Istanbul (Turkey)) in October 2011.

Interview

Online applicarion
    Mail with a proposed date for the telephone interview/skype
    They rang the phone but preferred to switch to skype because of the cost