Jookt.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jookt.com

Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Jookt.com (Denver, CO) in April 2009.

Interview

I was referred to Jookt by a former boss at SportsHD, a production company that creates original sports programming for Altitude Sports and Entertainment Network and others. I got an initial phone call by the COO of Jookt, who told me they were a website dedicated to high school sports in Colorado, and that they were in the market for someone to bring a new vision to their programming (both he and the CEO have cable backgrounds, but on the distribution, not the programming side).

I was energized by the opportunity and also wanted badly to move out of the uncertain world of freelance video production. I was asked in for a sit-down with the COO, which went swimmingly; I could tell he would make an extraordinary mentor for me, having been a high-level executive at AT&T and Time Warner. After this interview I was told I would meet with the CEO, but it took three or four follow-up emails/ phone calls, and about three weeks, to secure this interview, which I felt went even better than the first.

I was then asked to meet two of the VPs for coffee at Starbucks, and was quite impressed by their personalities and business savvy. The entire process took about a month and a half, and I was asked to come in on a temp basis, maybe work on one project and see how that went, to feel out the relationship ("We need to be absolutely certain we bring in the right resource," the CEO told me). It ended up as a three-month contract, after which I left the company and moved on to other things.

Interview Questions

• Freelancers are famously renegade, lone-wolf types who live by their own rules and eschew corporate culture. How would you feel moving into a more structured, albeit not hyper-corporate, environment?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. They offered me $75,000 as a contract employee and I countered at $100,000 with a 1% equity share (at that time Jookt was capitalized at around $5 Million), or $$75,000 with a 2% share. I was given the former.