ListenFirst Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ListenFirst Media

3.1

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I went through a phone screen for a software engineer role. If you every experienced being tortured by a novice developer being more interested in the definitions that he is reading from the book, then this was one of those experiences.

Interview Questions

• Here is exactly how it went:

Q. So, which data structures do you know about.
      A. Well, like every one I have worked with arrays, objects, linked lists...

Q. Tell me about linked lists.
      A. Its a data structure in which elements are either linked to their next or previous or both siblings. (He made sounds)..Well, its a basically a pointer to let you jump to the next element in the link.

Q. What is the last element linked to in linked list?
      A. Its not linked to any element because its the last element.

Q. How about finding common elements in two lists?
      A. You can go about hashing the first and then iterate over the second with a look up into the hash. The complexity would be O(size of first) for the hash building and a constant lookup time (C) for the lookup.

Q. (He wasn't able to understand fully ) How about sorting the lists first and then doing something else.
      A. Well, we can sort the lists, then iterate over second and recursively split the first to calculate the lookup area, which will be identical to the strategy that we use in BST but the overall process would be expensive than what I told you earlier.

Q. But I didn't mention anything about BST.
      A. The BST uses the binary search technique. Assuming that the lists are not sorted, we first have to go over each one of them (in worst case O(N^2) for each) and then iterate over the second to recursively split the first to find the lookup area. The lookup itself would be O(log N) then but the overall process including the sorting complexity is the bottleneck.

Q. But again, what is the methodology we use?
      A. Well, I just explained the methodology.

Q. What is it called? I didnt ask for BST..
      (At this point, I realized its pointless and the guy is a novice...and was thinking about ending the thing)
      A. Well, its binary search, which is traditionally done recursively if thats what you want.

Q. Are you sure?
      A. I would say yes..

Q. Do you have any questions for me?
      A. Well, I think I have had your answers.

Ends the call. I don't know what you take from this, but I had a bad experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

At first, the interviewer introduced ListenFirst Media, what they are doing and what they expect us to do. Then it headed to Tech Interview. The whole process makes me feel very good, and the interviewer explained the question in a detailed way.

Interview Questions

• Data structure :
      1. Difference between an Array and LinkedList
      2. Difference between an Array and Vector
      3. What is HashMap

Linux :
      1. How can I find a file below the current directory with specific extension name.
      2. How can I find the file that a contains the content that I specified.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media in February 2016.

Interview

one phone screen(go through your resume, ask some basic technical questions), online assessment (3 hours test, designing data structure, algorithm to achieve the goal), one phone interview with team, onsite.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Array and LinkedList?
      Some basic unix command
      how hashmap works   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The process involved many steps: phone screen with the recruiter -> brief (half hour) 1 one 1 in-person interview with a senior dev -> long (4 hours) on-site interview with 4 pairs of interviewers -> 2 hour on-site interview with CTO - I had to go in 3 different times in person. May have been different if the CTO was available on the day of my on-site interview.
    I will say the main interview was particularly challenging because of it's length. It was basically 4 hours straight of problem solving with no breaks. I've never felt that mentally drained after an interview session. I did not have much time to ask questions. A new pair of interviewers showed up as soon as the time for the current interviewers was up.
    As for the problems themselves, you must be very well-versed in computer science fundamentals, which is something they stress very firmly (for good reason). Questions ranged from memory hierarchy, to data structures, to fairly standard algorithm questions - you MUST know data structures well. With all that said, all the questions were fair and I was able to complete all of them with some thought.
    Another note: the interview was conducted in open air in the main working room/hall. There are other workers within 5 feet of you (I'm pretty sure the company founder was sitting at a desk right next to me the whole time). It can get uncomfortable/stressful and feels a bit awkward. I've never had an interview like that before - I've always been in a conference/meeting room for interviews.
    The interviewers themselves are nice and give you hints

Interview Questions

• Given an array of 2n+1 numbers, where there are n pairs of identical numbers, find the unique number. Ex: given [5, 2, 4, 7, 4, 5, 7] -> return 2.   Answer Question
    • Find the top k most frequently occuring words in an array of words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for three Software Engineering positions at this company and received a email to schedule a phone interview a couple of days after I submitted the applications. The interview was scheduled for the following Monday. The interview consisted of basic computer science fundamental questions. Next step (2nd round) was a programming test one week after the initial phone screen consisting of a dictionary problem. I was rejected about one week after completion of the programming test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied to ListenFirst in the first week of February. The entire process took more than a month to complete. First round was a simple technical phone interview testing your data structures concepts mainly (Arrays, LinkedList, HashMap) and what work you've done in the past. I was selected for the next round which was a 3 hour coding assessment. They asked me to create a dictionary. Again, they just wanted to see how strong are your data structures concepts. They liked me code and I was selected for the onsite round immediately. The blizzard in the north-east and other interviews caused my onsite round to be rescheduled a couple of times.

The onsite interview was scheduled for 4 hours and was heavily technical (yes, no HR/behavorial interviews). The office is really small but I suppose when you enjoy your work, you do not care about the size of the workplace. I had to go through 4 rounds of interviews with pairs of programmers/seniors. I thought I was doing well until the 3rd round where I think I messed up. They asked me a lot of programming questions (BST mainly), data structure complexity in terms of memory usage, sorting algorithms, algorithmic complexities, map, reduce, filter, application and system design, SQL queries, Unix syntax, Javascript, JQuery, D3.js.

I really enjoyed the entire interview process. Probably required a little more whiteboarding practice. They are definitely very thorough! I would recommend strengthening all the above mentioned concepts before actually scheduling the onsite. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Data structures concepts mainly (Arrays, LinkedList, HashMap)   Answer Question
    • A lot of programming questions (BST mainly), data structure complexity in terms of memory usage, sorting algorithms, algorithmic complexities, map, reduce, filter, application and system design, SQL queries, Unix syntax, Javascript, JQuery, D3.js.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview about background going over your resume , and technical questions such as how does an array work internally , 3 hour coding test testing data structure, algorithms, design. overall fairly average interview

Interview Questions

• How Hashmap works, Diff between Array vs LinkedList   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media.

Interview

I applied through a LinkedIn ad that I found for an engineer with experience in Rails. The first interview was a simple phone screen where some guy asked me to tell him more about myself, and the other usual stuff (experience, education, etc.). The next round was a technical screening, and I was interviewed by the VP. He spent the first 10 minutes asking me about my role in my previous projects. Then he started with the technical questions. The first thing he asked me was the difference between arrays and linked lists. I answered that, and then he asked me where I would use each one. I answered what I think was a satisfactory response, but he kept probing me for further details. I couldn't really understand what he was looking for, and he simply kept saying 'could you tell me more?'. In the end though, I gave him a good enough answer. Then he asked a few Linux basics with a couple of questions, and that was it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would troubleshoot a 404 error on the backend side. While it's not a difficult question, it does have numerous answers.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ListenFirst Media in September 2015.

Interview

The person who talked with me on the phone was pretty rude and arrogant, he kept discouraging me with the words "we select only smart people but I did not see any smart from your answers", "our aim for this interview is just to compare you with other candidates".

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The initial phone interview was mostly about computer science fundamental questions. They asked questions about linked lists, arrays, hash tables, mutexes, semaphores. The next step was a programming task that involved a dictionary. The task was to write a dictionary application that allowed users to add words, definitions and synonyms. They contacted me for an interview onsite only to respond minutes later to say they contacted the wrong person. Highly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Various data structure questions   2 Answers

ListenFirst Media Response

Feb 24, 2017 – CTO

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with our interviewing process. We strive to always treat candidates with the utmost respect and professionalism. We regret the mistake and have... More